CFI Needed - Alaska High School

ChemGuy

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ChemGuy
A guy on another forum I'm on (motorcycles) runs a school in Galena AK. They have an opening for a CFI/Ground school instructor. Its in the middle of nowhere, like literally in the middle of AK.

Thought I'd post it here in case anyone was interested. Go to https://www.galenaalaska.org/ and look under employment.

I believe he said they have a 172 and maybe access to a CAP 172 for training. The school is at the old Galena Air Base.

This is fascinating. Would he/she be like a coach and have to teach health and sex-ed when not coaching? Do you have another teacher teach ground school when the CFI is up in the air with a couple of the kids? So many questions.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

And here I sit with no medical.

Galena is not bad for a remote village. When I was there 18 years ago you could buy alcohol. A little pricey but it was available. Galena is a short ride by plane to Fairbanks, or a several hours by the interstate (ok, via the Yukon River, turn right on the Tanana River, catch the paved road at Nenana). I think there was even a restaurant when I was there..

Galena was almost wiped out by a flood a few years ago.

The village is on the Yukon River so fishing opportunities are many.

From the website:

Galena (pop. 500+) is a village located in central Alaska along the Yukon River, 270 air miles west of Fairbanks, 350 miles north of Anchorage, and 1,000 miles northwest of Juneau, Alaska’s capital. As Galena has no connecting road systems outside the village, travel to and from Galena is by air or by water. The Yukon River, after summer thaw, provides travel by boats and barges between neighboring communities within the 150-mile long Yukon-Koyukuk Region. During winter, the Yukon River also provides for less conventional travel of all-terrain-vehicles, snow-machines, and dog sleds. Galena also hosts a former United States AirForce airfield, now a public state owned and operated airport that accommodates heavy air traffic servicing 6+ daily flights from Fairbanks and Anchorage. Galena is the hub for smaller central Alaskan communities who depend upon Galena’s capacity to deliver health, education, cultural, social, and other services and conveniences.

Galena has general merchandise stores, churches, a heated indoor Olympic-sized swimming pool, a modern health and dental center, a bar, bed & breakfast lodgings, schools, coffee shop, a University of Alaska/Fairbanks Rural Campus, City Municipal Offices, Tribal government offices (Louden), regional Native organizations, youth organizations, a radio station (KIYU), a Magistrate Court, State Troopers and other governmental offices.

First off how cool is it a high school has a need for a CFI.

If I moved AK would be on my top 3 choices

First off how cool is it a high school has a need for a CFI.

While I am not sure if this is part of this program or not.....

About 15 or so years ago someone decided that Alaska needed eskimo pilots, so a federal program was started to teach them. The program paid the school so much money to start an eskimo student that would get them a single engine commercial certificate with instrument rating. The very first class had 50 students, with one reaching the end.

It made a few people a LOT of federal money for a little work. I am not sure if this program is still in progress or not.

Dang. MSCard i figured you'd be all over this...Alabama is really similar to Alaska...

I believe he said that the CFI does ground school as well.

And it is some sort of boarding high school for inland/native kids. But yeah, i wish high school had a flight program.

I have a friend that did this around 2004 or so. That program that Zeldman mentioned has been around at least since 2001, maybe 2000.

The funny thing is, as much as Alaskans need aviation in the western 2/3 of the state, not many natives actually want to take the time or effort to learn how to fly.

My youngest son is a CTE teacher in Kotzabue and has attempted to start an Aviation program there and in Kania several times. He got some grant funds to purchase ground school training materials but lack of interest by students pretty much ended the efforts. I recently send him the link to the curriculum being developed by AOPA in hopes of reviving some interest. Maybe something will happen. Recently several local A&P’s in Kota built 2 Zenith CH701’s - it would be wonderful if they could partner with the high school to build another one.

Planes in the ville would end up just like 4 wheelers and snowmachines end up. A couple of guys here will know what I’m referring to.

... a radio station (KIYU) ...

I found their live stream.

REO Speedwagon, Seals and Crofts, and America so far.

It would appear the radio station is fed with 70s and 80s hits.

Ooh. Jackson Five, “Dancing Machine” now. LOL.

Well at least it isn’t the total **** auto-tuned pop garbage from NYC or LA. :) !!!

And now Billy Joel, “It’s still Rock and Roll to Me”. :)

Survivable if you had to listen to it and didn’t have a music collection or had folks over on a Saturday night.

I keep waiting to see if there’s a break where they say it’s 80s night. Hahaha. I don’t think it’s forthcoming...

Okay the Bette Middler version of “The Rose” just came on. I’m out!

Planes in the ville would end up just like 4 wheelers and snowmachines end up. A couple of guys here will know what I’m referring to.

You break it, just leave it in the tundra and buy another one when the next dividend check arrives.

The weather is always good when the dividend checks are in the mail!

You break it, just leave it in the tundra
...Alabama is really similar to Alaska...

What's funny is that this was exactly my first impression the first time I went to Alaska. The two immediately noticeable parallels were crap strewn everywhere and expensive houses built right next to slums.

My statement was "did we take a wrong turn and wind up in Alabama?"

Why is that?

Have to work for a certificate. Why work if it is not given to you..??

Eskimo attitude, take a job until you get enough money to pay for what you want, then go fishing/hunting for a month. There will be another job to take. Small population and have to hire the same people over and over. Not all have this attitude though.

Back