CFI-MEI without CFII - Limits??

AndyTowPilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Andy
I have both CFII-MEI. No issues here. But as I train CFIs coming from many different walks of flying life (some with insane more experience than me), they choose to approach this path in different ways. My question specifically: can a CFI certified to teach Single and Multiengine (No CFII) provide training for an initial multi rating without an instrument restriction? Or must that instructor be a CFII to recommend a candidate for the full multi-ifr checkride?

Also, for the DPE folks out there: is it at all possible to combine a CFII-MEI ride as initial CFI, or must that person take each ride individually?

If your scenario is an instrument rated private or commercial airplane SEL pilot wanting a MEL, yes a CFI can do that.

I have both CFII-MEI. No issues here. But as I train CFIs coming from many different walks of flying life (some with insane more experience than me), they choose to approach this path in different ways. My question specifically: can a CFI certified to teach Single and Multiengine (No CFII) provide training for an initial multi rating without an instrument restriction? Or must that instructor be a CFII to recommend a candidate for the full multi-ifr checkride?

Also, for the DPE folks out there: is it at all possible to combine a CFII-MEI ride as initial CFI, or must that person take each ride individually?

61.195(c) tells you what you need a CFII for.

14 CFR 61.129(b)(3)(i)
(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in § 61.127(b)(2) of this part that includes at least -
(i) Ten hours of instrument training using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems. Five hours of the 10 hours required on instrument training must be in a multiengine airplane;

Instrument training requires a CFII. “Flight by reference to instruments” does not.

If your scenario is an instrument rated private or commercial airplane SEL pilot wanting a MEL, yes a CFI can do that.
...Except a CFI (i.e. a flight instructor without an instrument airplane eating on his/her flight instructor certificate) cannot provide the minimum of 5 hours of instrument training in a multi engine aircraft.

Back