CFI lesson plan question

rodzilla

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rodzilla
Hey guys!

I just finished up my CFI lesson plans, they're based off each task in the required PTS, but it seems like I might be missing a few lesson plans that might need to be put in that are not in the PTS.

It looks like I might have to do a lesson plan on weather theory and aerodynamics but Im not sure what else Im missing or if this is even necessary?

Hopefully someone has done this route and know whats to do. Thanks for the help!

I only made lesson plans for the actual private and commercial maneuvers plus an airspace lesson plan. Not sure anything else would be needed on the oral if that is why you are making them.

I have found I do not use the lesson plans anyway. Not sure if other CFI's use lesson plans or not. i teach part 61. The short time I taught part 141 at a University, there was a procedures manual covering airwork. The University taught the ground school. No lesson plans needed there.

David

I made lessons plan exactly how you did; line by line in the PTS. I also made lesson plans about basic aerodynamics and weather theory. It can't hurt.

It looks like I might have to do a lesson plan on weather theory and aerodynamics but Im not sure what else Im missing or if this is even necessary?

Go ahead and do it.

By the way, make sure you practice teaching using your lesson plans. Once you'll do, you'll probably find that you need to make some changes. :yesnod:

Ok cool, yeah I might as well make the lesson plans that fill in the gaps. Its going to be hard teaching these lesson plans at first because some of the plans are more than 10 pages long worth of content. Ive noticed most professional plans are very short, and then you have some guys where the CFI lesson plans take up the largest 3 ring binders available.

Ok cool, yeah I might as well make the lesson plans that fill in the gaps. Its going to be hard teaching these lesson plans at first because some of the plans are more than 10 pages long worth of content. Ive noticed most professional plans are very short, and then you have some guys where the CFI lesson plans take up the largest 3 ring binders available.
This is how my lesson plans were made. However when I was doing ground school with my instructor, I didn't really go as in depth. The plans were mostly for my sake and making sure I knew the material in depth.

This is how my lesson plans were made. However when I was doing ground school with my instructor, I didn't really go as in depth. The plans were mostly for my sake and making sure I knew the material in depth.

It me close to 4 months worth of time to finish it. I feel you pain.

crying-man.gif

I only did a lesson plan for the one item requested by the examiner. Everything else you can find in a publication done by professionals that have been teaching for years. Just check that the references are still current.

Hey guys!

I just finished up my CFI lesson plans, they're based off each task in the required PTS, but it seems like I might be missing a few lesson plans that might need to be put in that are not in the PTS.

Hopefully someone has done this route and know whats to do. Thanks for the help!

Isn't weather in the PTS?

Isn't weather in the PTS?

It is but the layout consists of weather forecasts/reports/charts and not about the different types of weather phenomenon. That is why there needs to be another lesson plan on weather theory.

It is but the layout consists of weather forecasts/reports/charts and not about the different types of weather phenomenon. That is why there needs to be another lesson plan on weather theory.

How do you "analyze" or "make a competent go/no-go decision" without understanding some weather theory?

I only did a lesson plan for the one item requested by the examiner. Everything else you can find in a publication done by professionals that have been teaching for years. Just check that the references are still current.

My "lesson plan" was my own logbook. Since I was fortunate to have a fantastic instructor for my PPL, I just did the lessons in the order I was taught. Did have to get creative when teaching instrument and multi, though. Weather and degree of student competency played a big part in the scheme of things. Always thought, and still do, that a thorough preflight and postflight discussion was absolutely necessary to cover all the questions the student might have. But with the 141 school curriculum, things have changed. Still prefer 61 teaching.

That must have been nice. When I took my CFI ride the FSDO did all initial CFI rides for fixed wing. When I asked the ASI what lesson plan I would need for the checkride his answer was "I'll tell you during the oral." He was a real nice guy.

I'm not a cfi, in fact I've only had my ppl for a year now. But I am a teacher of 13+ years.

Over-prepare your lessons. And then only teach what is necessary to help your students understand. My cfi gave me very limited ground instruction; he would just review a topic or two each time. Different people learn different ways. If your student asks you something that you don't feel prepared to answer, be honest with them and make sure you can answer it 4 different ways the next time you see them.

Otherwise, is this ground school? My cfi rarely got into either wx theory or aerodynamics. Mostly the discussion was on what would directly impact the flight. Airspace, ATC, METARs, etc.

I feel strongly that most CFIs do not adequately brief and debrief. Briefing where you're going, a maneuver, and common mistake areas really helps.

This. You can learn so much from a brief and de brief.

Yep. That's exactly what I posted above. Seems today's instructors are too anxious to get to the plane to build those hours. Ground time is just as important.:yes:

I'm getting my instrument rating now. I was lucky enough to find an instructor that isn't doing it to build time, but loves to teach. We started out doing a great brief / debrief and I'm doing really well. Each lesson built on the last and I was making (compared to previous instructors) incredible progress.

Then we have to switch to a different airport for a while (long story), but it meant the lessons needed to be cut short. I'd fly over, meet him, we'd fly and then after signing the log book, I'm outta there. Wow. These sessions were much less useful. Same guy, same plane, same stuff, but... "The airplane makes a poor classroom." We just got back into our original routine (leave from my airport, extensive brief / debrief "plan the flight, fly the plan") and I'm back to feeling like I might be able to get this done. :)

I realize different people learn differently, but as a student I can say that covering the stuff before you get in the plane, getting it straight and then flying it can make a HUGE difference. And then after, being able to ask questions while it's still fresh is awesome. And honestly, flying out of a class C when it's busy doesn't leave much time for instruction or questions if the radio is constantly busy so ground is about the only time to discuss this stuff anyway.

I'm getting my instrument rating now. I was lucky enough to find an instructor that isn't doing it to build time, but loves to teach. We started out doing a great brief / debrief and I'm doing really well. Each lesson built on the last and I was making (compared to previous instructors) incredible progress.

Then we have to switch to a different airport for a while (long story), but it meant the lessons needed to be cut short. I'd fly over, meet him, we'd fly and then after signing the log book, I'm outta there. Wow. These sessions were much less useful. Same guy, same plane, same stuff, but... "The airplane makes a poor classroom." We just got back into our original routine (leave from my airport, extensive brief / debrief "plan the flight, fly the plan") and I'm back to feeling like I might be able to get this done. :)

I realize different people learn differently, but as a student I can say that covering the stuff before you get in the plane, getting it straight and then flying it can make a HUGE difference. And then after, being able to ask questions while it's still fresh is awesome. And honestly, flying out of a class C when it's busy doesn't leave much time for instruction or questions if the radio is constantly busy so ground is about the only time to discuss this stuff anyway.

That's the way it was taught. Seems like nowadays instructors only want flying hours and are anxious to get into the plane. Think the 141 curriculum has a lot to do with that. I don't understand it. An instructor gets paid for ground time -- what's the rush. That student needs to know what's going to be covered in today's flight and afterwards needs to have the time to ask questions. You're right -- plane makes a poor classroom if you don't know the lesson. I always told my students, after our postflight discussion, what we would cover next time giving him/her time to prepare. We still had a thorough preflight, though.

That's the way it was taught. Seems like nowadays instructors only want flying hours and are anxious to get into the plane. Think the 141 curriculum has a lot to do with that. I don't understand it. An instructor gets paid for ground time -- what's the rush. That student needs to know what's going to be covered in today's flight and afterwards needs to have the time to ask questions. You're right -- plane makes a poor classroom if you don't know the lesson. I always told my students, after our postflight discussion, what we would cover next time giving him/her time to prepare. We still had a thorough preflight, though.
I'm doing flight instructing to build time but I also really enjoy it and can see myself instructing after I retire. I am learning a lot from my students and it is really cool to see them progress. I always make it a point to do briefs before and after.

Back