CFI Knowledge Test Endorsement?

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
A friend of mine is working on getting the Advanced Ground Instructor license and while going through the Gleim book, found that it says that "The FAA does not require an instructors endorsement for any Flight Instructor Written"
I don't buy it, mostly because of 61.35. I can find no exceptions under the CFI or Ground Instructor sections of part 61. Any answers?

Tony
Commercial - ASEL, AMEL, IA, Glider
CFI - All of the above (And had endorsements for the writtens)

tonycondon said:
A friend of mine is working on getting the Advanced Ground Instructor license and while going through the Gleim book, found that it says that "The FAA does not require an instructors endorsement for any Flight Instructor Written"
I don't buy it, mostly because of 61.35. I can find no exceptions under the CFI or Ground Instructor sections of part 61. Any answers?

Ye dare to question the mighty Gleim? :)

Where you went wrong was looking at Pilot certification requirements (61.35) rather than Flight Instructor certification requirements (61.183, 185, 187.)
As is often the case with 14 CFR 61, the answer lies in omission. Shift focus to 61.183(e), and (f):

To be eligible for a flight instructor certificate or rating a person must:

(e) Pass a knowledge test on the areas listed in §61.185(a)(1) of this part

(61.185(a)(1) is Fundamentals of Instructing.)

(f) Pass a knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in §61.185(a)(2) and (a)(3) of this part that are appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought

(61.185(a)(2) and (3) are pilot certicates and instrument rating, respectively.)

Notice how it doesn't require that an authorized instructor "... certified that the person is prepared for the required knowledge test that applies to the aircraft category and class rating sought." Sound familiar? It's from 61.123(c)(2), Eligibility Requirements for a Commercial Pilot certificate.

So, as you can see, there is no requirement per 61.183 (e) and (f) to get an instructor signoff for the CFI writtens.

Tony

... although you didn't need those endorsements, perhaps the positive mojo they contained helped carry the day for you!

tonycondon said:

Tony

See AC 61-65D
AC61-65D

5. KNOWLEDGE TESTS. The knowledge tests for the recreational pilot certificate, private pilot certificate, commercial pilot certificate, airline transport pilot (ATP) certificate, flight instructor certificate, ground instructor certificate, and ratings cover the subject areas in which aeronautical knowledge is required by part 61.

a. If required by § 61.35(a)(1), an appropriate knowledge test will only be administered to an applicantwho presents acceptable evidence of completion of the required training.

b. Applicants are not required to show such evidence to take the ATP, CFI, certificated ground instructor(CGI), military competency, or foreign pilot instrument knowledge tests unless they are applying to retake a test after failing that test (per § 61.49).

c. The FAA computerized knowledge test program has been implemented to provide expeditious testing services for applicants at locations and times convenient to the public. For location of computerized testing centers, contact the nearest Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) or use the listing of computerized testing centers on the Internet at: http://www.mmac.jccbi.gov/afs/afs600.

thanks guys for all the help, just needed to look closer!

tony

Back