CFI Initial Write-up 01/06

flyingm2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyingm2
CFI-Initial Checkride (Airplane) 01/06/2019 Write-up

By: Matt M.

Note: The write-up below is from my CFI Initial checkride. Do not use any of this information for training or for checkride preparation. Always refer to your CFI, the PTS and other study documents for preparation.

Oral Exam:

0900, Saturday, January 5, 2019: I arrived at the airport about 15 minutes prior to start- and my DPE was already in the conference room, set up and ready. I have done 2 checkrides with this particular DPE before, so we were not strangers to each other. I shook his hand and began getting out all of my materials for the oral. I brought: Lesson plans I had borrowed from a friend, outlines for those lesson plans that were made by me from scratch, AC 61-65H, FAR/AIM (most important one), Airplane Flying Handbook, Aviation Instructor Handbook, notebook paper, and my MacBook. He looked at my ID stuff, checked my endorsements**, chose all of the stuff we were to do all day from the PTS, and we began.

He gave me a scenario that he said we would use for the entire oral, which turned out to be quite true. The scenario was this: you have a 23-year old female from Sweden, she is 105lbs, 5’11”, 4-year degree, she also has a biker boyfriend tattoo guy on probation. She tells me “I want to learn to fly and become an airline pilot”.

The first thing he asked (which really threw me off) was about how she, being a non-US citizen, would obtain the ability to flight train in the United States. I ended up looking up an AOPA article and went through the procedures. We went over a lot of professionalism items concerning the situation like remaining professional in the cockpit and assuring that as instructors our two main goals are safety and being professionals. He also asked about good assessment and good critique for the student. This part lasted about 30 minutes.

After that we moved into endorsements and requirements for student pilots, so I opened up my FAR/AIM to 61.87. We talked for about 15 minutes about items and regulations for student pilots. We talked about endorsements required for a solo XC into a Class Bravo, however I assured to the DPE that as a CFI there will never be a time that I would (even with the training) allow a student solo to Class B/KCLT.

We then moved in to Navigation and Flight Planning (DPE let me choose this from the subject areas). He told me to open my sectional and teach him all about how to plan a flight from HBI-ILM. I described choosing good way-points, and my thoughts on that. I explained the airspace on the route of flight, and special use airspace near FAY.

Next, we spent about 30 minutes talking solely on Runway Incursion. This was a big portion of the oral, and is a required section from the PTS. He had me teach him about it and led me into what I didn’t hit on with questions. I explained looking outside, sterile cockpit, etc. Anything you could possibly think of for it.

After that, the pizza came so we took a lunch break. We both ate in the conference room and watched magic trick videos on YouTube on the break!

After lunch we talked about Operations of Systems. This was about 20-30 minutes and went over everything listed under that section of the pts. Systems wasn’t a high point for me, but I felt prepared enough for what he asked me- fairly basic stuff about engine, prop, electrical systems, flight controls, and other things like anti-ice vs de-ice.

Lastly, I taught him my lesson on Chandelles. I felt very prepared as I had already made up outlines that were 100% my own. I gave an intro, what it was, why, and then how we do it. He seemed to enjoy it, and I had fun while teaching it. Before the maneuver I even asked him a question “Now what do we do before we start ANY maneuver?” He laughed and we both said, “Clearing turns!” at the same time.

After that, the oral portion was complete. Total time was about 4 hours, 4.5 including lunch. The winds at HBI were across the runway at 19knts so I postponed the flight to the next day, Sunday. I explained to Greg my reasoning that as a prospective CFI, I wouldn’t take a student up for maneuvers in that kind of wind. He agreed. I flew back home with my instructor and flew back to Siler City (did oral in HBI-Asheboro) the next day.

Flight Portion (Sunday 1/6/19)

The flight portion was different from what I thought. It was definitely more thorough that what I originally thought. I flew 100% of the checkride, taught all of the maneuvers I performed, and he also asked me common errors from students on each task. He also really emphasized the importance of scanning for traffic and visual scanning.

These were the all items that I flew and taught- chronological order. Clearing turns in between each maneuver.

o Taxiing

o Normal Takeoff

o Power On Stall (full)

o Cross-Control Stall (imminent)

o Straight Climbs, Climbing Turns

o Chandelles

o Explained 5 different emergency malfunction items that I would tell a student to be aware of.

o Emergency approach and landing (from 5,500)- We were only 3-4SE of SCR, but wind was from NW, GS was about 45knts, so I descended and entered a normal traffic pattern. He explained I had good energy management and used my altitude wisely.

o Go Around

o Eights-on-Pylons

o S-Turns Across a Road

o Unusual Attitudes

o Normal Landing

o Soft Field Takeoff

o Soft Field Landing

My Best Advice to You:

I’m sure you have all heard the stories about long orals and disapprovals on the CFI checkride and I want to let you know that the reality is different…This is a big checkride, no doubt, but If you do your preparation and prepare you will be just fine. I know I sound like a broken record, but it is true. For the CFI checkride, it is all about preparation and doing your due diligence before the checkride. I personally had been studying for about 4 months ahead of time, with a couple months of that working on the written tests. The last part of November and December however, I considered checkride prep and met with my instructor no less than once per week for ground and fly, also. Endorsements/regulations on certificates and Runway Incursion were the two biggest areas on my oral, but do NOT overlook the FOIs. Another piece of advice is that you do NOT have to know everything, just know where to look it up- just like with my example of the alien student program. Lastly, make sure and don’t overlook anything though, and never assume anything on this checkride.

My experience with my CFI checkride was great! My DPE was awesome and my checkride was fair. My oral was about 4-4.5 hours and my flight (the next day because of weather) was about 1.8. Looking from a whole it seems like a lot, but it went by quickly. The reward of passing my checkride (and on the first try!) is a great feeling, and I am looking forward to and excited about giving back to the aviation community by instructing!

My goal with this write-up is to ease the nerves of future CFIs going in to their checkride- I hope that it will do just that. Whether you are preparing for your big day or just wondering what a CFI initial is like in 2019, I wish everyone blue skies and safe flying always! Please email me with any questions.

All the best,

Matt M.

mikealpha2tango@gmail.com

CFI- 01/06/2019

Congrats!! and nice writeup!

Curious how (if?) the hypothetical biker boyfriend tattoo probation guy came up during the oral... Did it? Maybe the DPE wanted to be able to talk about medicals and the consequences of past crime/drugs?

Agree completely about knowing all about endorsements! I wasn't expecting that to be a big or complicated topic but a significant chunk of my oral was spent on it. My DPE's "weird hypothetical" for the oral was "guy who owns a Cessna 185 with wheel-skis who wants to learn to fly in it." :)

Enjoy the new ticket!

First rule of a checkride. Bring donuts.

Nice, very interessting to hear first hand how it is. Its a long term goal of mine when the time comes. I have too much practical experience yet to gain before being ready to take that step... but sure fun to live vicariously through your story for now!

Curious how (if?) the hypothetical biker boyfriend tattoo probation guy came up during the oral... Did it? Maybe the DPE wanted to be able to talk about medicals and the consequences of past crime/drugs?
Don't hit on the cute Swedish blonde if you want to remain living? :D

Very nice write up. Thank you!!

And what a curveball, tossing the young sweet Swedish girl at you. You mentioned the biker boyfriend, how did he figure into the conversation beyond the introduction?

And what a curveball, tossing the young sweet Swedish girl at you. You mentioned the biker boyfriend, how did he figure into the conversation beyond the introduction?
More incentive to remain professional in the cockpit. :)

"How much would the biker boyfriend have to weigh before busting W&B with full fuel?"
"How would you give a passenger briefing to the biker boyfriend?"
"At what altitude does the biker boyfriend need to be supplied with oxygen on the flight?"..... :)

Nice write up. My CFI initial was about 6 months ago, and while thorough wasn't a nightmare. Fortunately I know our DPE and he knows me, he knows my knowledge level, and knows how to push me. Our checkrides together are usually some enlightening conversations.

You lost me at:

And congratulations!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Way to go! Now on to CFII???

Congrats mate! I hope to be a CFI one day
It's seriously not as bad as people make it out to be. If you ever have any questions feel free to PM or email me.
Best of luck to ya!

Congrats!! and nice writeup!

Agree completely about knowing all about endorsements! I wasn't expecting that to be a big or complicated topic but a significant chunk of my oral was spent on it. My DPE's "weird hypothetical" for the oral was "guy who owns a Cessna 185 with wheel-skis who wants to learn to fly in it." :)

Enjoy the new ticket!

Don't hit on the cute Swedish blonde if you want to remain living? :D

So the Biker Boyfriend on probation was meant to be the proverbial over-controlling figure that could possibly hinder her learning ability. He asked me various questions about how I would approach him to let him know that his girlfriend is in good hands, and the stuff that goes on in the cockpit are professional... And a few other things like that!

Nice write up. My CFI initial was about 6 months ago, and while thorough wasn't a nightmare. Fortunately I know our DPE and he knows me, he knows my knowledge level, and knows how to push me. Our checkrides together are usually some enlightening conversations.
That is how mine was and it was a great experience. Although exhausted and tired and mentally overwhelmed Sunday night- it was a good!

The best way to really learn something is to try to teach it!
Absolutely!!!

Teaching the next round of new hires on my team is part of my informal training plan. Or If no next round available at the right time, I'll ask 2nd level if there is anyone on their team that I can have my guy teach.

So the Biker Boyfriend on probation was meant to be the proverbial over-controlling figure that could possibly hinder her learning ability. He asked me various questions about how I would approach him to let him know that his girlfriend is in good hands, and the stuff that goes on in the cockpit are professional... And a few other things like that!

Nothing like realistic scenarios. If the BF was a biker on probation she would not be doing flight training unless he wanted her to haul meth.

Nothing like realistic scenarios. If the BF was a biker on probation she would not be doing flight training unless he wanted her to haul meth.

Why do you have to be so judgmental? Not every biker on probation is hauling meth.

It could have been cocaine.

Congrats!

Mine was about 6 hours for the oral and .5 for the flight. I boched teaching first maneuver as I kept talking to much. :D Second try went much better!

Congratulations
Now if you go the professional route, do not let it expire. I did and it seems twice as hard this time.

Your Swedish student reminds me of my first instructing job. My student was a school teacher that wore halter tops and shorts...the halter was...stretched. When it was getting close to her solo, I told her to bring a shirt. She was a fantastic student and could land like a pro but had a really serious fear of actually soloing. Had my boss fly with her and he agreed she was more than ready. Her husband was a police officer and a K9 handler. After 25 hours with not soloing he came to the airport and threatened me with the dog. The airport manager got involved as well as his boss and he was banned. She finally soloed, crying and walked away never to fly again.

Back