CFI Initial WINGS Credit

Blake Bybee

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Blake
Quick question, I passed my CFI Initial back in June 2021, and have requested WINGS credit from my examiner. Not sure if he has seen/and or will validate this credit. Would I be able to use my endorsing Instructor as a validator for this practical test?

Quick question, I passed my CFI Initial back in June 2021, and have requested WINGS credit from my examiner. Not sure if he has seen/and or will validate this credit. Would I be able to use my endorsing Instructor as a validator for this practical test?
Yes. I had a similar situation when I got my ppl. The dpe had never used the wings system. My cfi was happy to do it.

Seriously! You are now a CFI, can’t you look this up on your own?

Initial Certification - Flight Instructor (Includes Renewal or Reinstatement by practical test)

https://www.faasafety.gov/WINGS/pub/accreditedactivities/accreditedActivityViewer.aspx?aaid= 273

Satisfactory completion of a Practical Test for the initial issuance, renewal or reinstatement of a Flight Instructor Certificate meets all the requirements for the Master Level of the WINGS - Pilot Proficiency Program, the Advanced Level of WINGS, and the Basic Level, if, and this is a big "if", the applicant demonstrates takeoffs and landings during the Practical Test as sole manipulator of the controls.

Last edited:
https://www.faasafety.gov/WINGS/pub/accreditedactivities/accreditedActivityViewer.aspx?aaid= 273

Satisfactory completion of a Practical Test for the initial issuance, renewal or reinstatement of a Flight Instructor Certificate meets all the requirements for the Master Level of the WINGS - Pilot Proficiency Program, the Advanced Level of WINGS, and the Basic Level, if, and this is a big "if", the applicant demonstrates takeoffs and landings during the Practical Test as sole manipulator of the controls
I know. But I can't figure out what that has to do with.
The examiner has to do it
As @Jim K said, it doesn't have to be the examiner who validates the credit.

Disagree CFI based on a practical test because specific demonstrations during the test is required. Why the FAA included this in the instructions is a head scratcher, but I don’t see how a CFI can attest to demonstrations they didn’t observe.

Last edited:
Disagree CFI based on a practical test because specific demonstrations during the test is required. Why the FAA included this in the instructions is a head scratcher, but I don’t see how a CFI can attest to demonstrations they didn’t observe.
We are allowed to validate credit for work done by a different CFI - things we did not personally observe. All we need to do is verify the tasks were completed. That can be a logistic problem since a Wings-unaware CFI may not be logging enough and will rarely say "to ACS standards." But in this case it's especially easy. It's the referring instructor for the checkride. If the landing were logged and the DPE endorsed the logbook entry, done. If not, I'd just ask the examiner and if that didn't satisfy me, ask for a confirmatory email or text. You might not be comfortable doing it. That's ok, but different from cannot be done.

https://www.faasafety.gov/WINGS/documents/WINGSEasy_GivingCredit.pdf
upload_2021-11-1_7-29-10.png

While you are calling the DPE, just ask him to do the Wings approval. The applicant either has proof or he doesn’t and I have yet to see a DPE endorse for demonstrated takeoffs and landings. Nice grasp at straws though.

Last edited:
While you are calling the DPE, just ask him to do the Wings approval. The applicant either has proof or he doesn’t and I have yet to see a DPE endorse for demonstrated takeoffs and landings. Nice grasp at straws though.
The "straw" is part of the system. You not liking it isn't the same as "can't be done." I've offered it once or twice but the CFI ultimately agreed to take care of it.

Back