CFI-I written out of the way

Don Jones

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DJones
Got tired of studying for the II written, jumped in the airplane and flew to 5T6 yesterday and took the test. Scored 90, not my best performance, but I will take it. Now to prep for the checkride. Oh crap another checkride in the spring winds. 4 checkrides so far and all of them between March and May, and everyone with the wind blowing. Oh well, I wouldn't know how to act if it was calm.:no:

Last edited:
Sweet! Maybe you can travel to HII to give me my IR!

Good deal!

I got a 92 on the CFI written but I won't say what I got on the FOI. It bites but still passed by a reasonable margin.

The FOI is an outdated dinosaur and should be burned. I ran the FOI past some teachers, and they just shook their head, and said they couldn't believe they were teaching that crap.

The FOI is an outdated dinosaur and should be burned. I ran the FOI past some teachers, and they just shook their head, and said they couldn't believe they were teaching that crap.
:rofl: A fomer CFII stated it was a "bunch of Berkley hippy BS."

While the AIH has some good stuff in it, I think Kershner's book should be adopted as the official handbook.

I won't say what I got on the FOI. It bites but still passed by a reasonable margin.

The FOI was the only test my primary CFI passed with a perfect score, and I don't think he even read the book. :dunno:

Moral of the story: Don't read the book, you'll do worse on the test. :rofl:

Good for you getting the "Double I" written done with 90 percent. The examiner shouldn't smell too much blood on you with that kind of a score, and will leave you alone at checkride time. :)

I've got my first student ready to sign up next weekend for her PPL.

This weekend, I pull my first shift hanging out at the dispatch desk waiting for aircraft checkouts and discovery flights.

I'll pack my brown paper bag containing an apple and a tuna sandwich.

Such is the life of a new CFI. But, I'm happy!

The FOI was the only test my primary CFI passed with a perfect score, and I don't think he even read the book. :dunno:

Moral of the story: Don't read the book, you'll do worse on the test. :rofl:

I got 98 on the FOI. One of the DE's around here is telling everyone to just memorize the questions and be done with it. He does not believe in it either.
I am with Ed, they need to come up with something better than the current
FOI.

Good for you getting the "Double I" written done with 90 percent. The examiner shouldn't smell too much blood on you with that kind of a score, and will leave you alone at checkride time. :)

I've got my first student ready to sign up next weekend for her PPL.

This weekend, I pull my first shift hanging out at the dispatch desk waiting for aircraft checkouts and discovery flights.

I'll pack my brown paper bag containing an apple and a tuna sandwich.

Such is the life of a new CFI. But, I'm happy!

I for one can't wait to hear some of those first student stories. It has been the most interesting 150 hours I have spent in an airplane. You are gonna learn more about teaching than you can imagine.:yes:

I for one can't wait to hear some of those first student stories. It has been the most interesting 150 hours I have spent in an airplane. You are gonna learn more about teaching than you can imagine.:yes:

I expect it will be very instructive, and look forward to all the learning! Thanks!

We'll have to start a new thread, as soon as I get my first real student in the plane, swapping "war stories" about all the things we wished we had learned while pursuing the CFI Initial!

edit: Awww, shucks, if someone wants to start that thread now, I can't wait to start reading the stories.

Last edited:
edit: Awww, shucks, if someone wants to start that thread now, I can't wait to start reading the stories.

Well, I have been planning to write about my first year of instructing. So when I get time I will. I was planning to combine it with my 500 hour milestone(only 3 hours to go).

Well, I have been planning to write about my first year of instructing. So when I get time I will. I was planning to combine it with my 500 hour milestone(only 3 hours to go).

Great! It will be a wonderful thread. Maybe all us new CFIs can contribute to it over the next 12 months.

It'll be a fantastic journey, to be sure.

I'm also closing in on 500 hours, by the way ...

Back