CFI-I FAA only?

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
Are DEs able to do the IA add-on to the CFI, or is the FAA keeping these to itself as well?

I've asked around locally but no one knows what the deal is lately...

Everyone I know did all CFI add on flights with DEs, not the FAA. I did all my CFI checkrides with DEs

From everything I've learned in talking with both Atlanta and Birmingham FSDOs who want CFI rides in-house, they only want the "CFI Initial" whether that means your first ride is the CFI or CFII. Some get the II first and later add on the CFI.

There are some FSDOs you can still get a letter to go to a DPE. Nashville is one for the moment but soon to change. I'm not sure where else at this time. I'm hearing it' the FAA goal to take all initial CFI rides in-house.

There are some FSDOs you can still get a letter to go to a DPE. Nashville is one for the moment but soon to change. I'm not sure where else at this time. I'm hearing it' the FAA goal to take all initial CFI rides in-house.

Around here (Southwestern PA -- Charleston WV and Allegheny FSDO region) all CFI initials are done by the FAA.

Anyone confirm the rumor that MI or MN FSDO is requiring a checkride of any CFI who sends a CFI candidate in who fails his initial checkride??

Around here (Southwestern PA -- Charleston WV and Allegheny FSDO region) all CFI initials are done by the FAA.

Anyone confirm the rumor that MI or MN FSDO is requiring a checkride of any CFI who sends a CFI candidate in who fails his initial checkride??
I doubt they would go after the signing CFI on a first or second fail. The FAA has pushed for such strict adherence to the PTS (particularly during the oral) so failures are expected. It's those who show up for repeated attempts whom will certainly draw attention to the signing CFI.

I can confirm that there is such a rumor, fueled by an article in the March 2008 NAFI Mentor. I'm working with AFS-800 to find out whether there's any truth to it. Even the article says that the one (and only one) case discussed involved a candidate who was "woefully (or was it 'dreadfully'? can't find the copy right now) underprepared."

I can confirm that there is such a rumor, fueled by an article in the March 2008 NAFI Mentor. I'm working with AFS-800 to find out whether there's any truth to it. Even the article says that the one (and only one) case discussed involved a candidate who was "woefully (or was it 'dreadfully'? can't find the copy right now) underprepared."
"failed miserably" was the term I remember.

One can get their CFI-I before getting their CFI ? Wow. Admittedly, I haven't looked into it.

From everything I've learned in talking with both Atlanta and Birmingham FSDOs who want CFI rides in-house, they only want the "CFI Initial" whether that means your first ride is the CFI or CFII. Some get the II first and later add on the CFI.

One can get their CFI-I before getting their CFI ? Wow. Admittedly, I haven't looked into it.
Not so. One can get an initial CFI ticket with any rating (ASE, AME, IA, whatever) but any way you do it, you get a CFI ticket -- you just have your choice of what rating to go for initially. Note also that the privileges of a CFI-IA with no other ratings are extremely limited. However, many folks want to minimize their exposure to the FSDO inspectors, and since the initial CFI-IA check is less comprehensive than the initial CFI-ASE check, they choose go for the CFI-IA first and add the ASE rating with a DPE later.

Not so. One can get an initial CFI ticket with any rating (ASE, AME, IA, whatever) but any way you do it, you get a CFI ticket -- you just have your choice of what rating to go for initially. Note also that the privileges of a CFI-IA with no other ratings are extremely limited. However, many folks want to minimize their exposure to the FSDO inspectors, and since the initial CFI-IA check is less comprehensive than the initial CFI-ASE check, they choose go for the CFI-IA first and add the ASE rating with a DPE later.
Thanks Ron. You explained it much better than I. I left out entirely the difference between the Certificate and the Rating privileges it provides for.

I first became familiar with this when my old school took on an instrument instructor with only that privilege. Apparently, that's how American Flyers runs things.

Fascinating. Are the checkrides given by FSDO inspectors that much different from DPEs ? Wouldn't one want to pass the checkride irregardless of who was presiding over it ?

So, if the instructor only had CFI-IA they couldn't teach in the plane where they would have to be the legal PIC... Correct ?

I first became familiar with this when my old school took on an instrument instructor with only that privilege. Apparently, that's how American Flyers runs things.

What services did that particular instructor provide ?

How common is it to combine CFI-ASE & CFI-IA into one checkride ? Would that be suicidal ? :-D

Fascinating. Are the checkrides given by FSDO inspectors that much different from DPEs ? Wouldn't one want to pass the checkride irregardless of who was presiding over it ?
Though I've not experienced it, I've heard from other CFIs the FSDO is that much more difficult. It's an incentive to be that much better prepared.

So, if the instructor only had CFI-IA they couldn't teach in the plane where they would have to be the legal PIC... Correct ?
Since they would likely be teaching a certificated pilot in a plane that pilot would be rated for, the instrument student would be PIC.

I'm not sure the CFI-I could log PIC since he did not have the ASEL rating. Ron could address that with more authority.

What services did that particular instructor provide ?
No more than teaching for the Instrument Rating.

If my earlier statement is correct, the CFI-I could not teach loggable hood time to a primary student since neither they nor the student could act as PIC.

How common is it to combine CFI-ASE & CFI-IA into one checkride ? Would that be suicidal ? :-D
I've heard it has happen but given how taxing the CFI initial can be after just the oral, I doubt it would be the best plan. My CFI oral was 4.5 hours. I've heard of them lasting as long as eight hours with FSDO inspectors with typical orals by a DPE around five hours.

After I failed my initial oral, I went out to lunch with the DPE. I'm sure he picked up on anything I might have said that wasn't quite kosher. But, I believe that along with a couple other BS sessions helped relax things since he got to know my stand on various issues.

A FSDO inspector told me that they will do the instrument or multi CFI rating but that they basically don't have the time and just tell anyone who asks for one that they don't have time. He said some applicants want to save the DE fee.... I've only known one guy who did his multi and inst. with them, and he personally knew the inspector. Personally as in, friend.

Fascinating. Are the checkrides given by FSDO inspectors that much different from DPEs ?
In theory, no. However, the myth persists that DPE's are somehow less demanding than FSDO Inspectors. I have not seen evidence to support that. In fact, the FSDO's are very careful about which DPE's they allow to do CFI checks.

Wouldn't one want to pass the checkride irregardless of who was presiding over it ?
One would hope so, but I think many people don't care how they pass as long as they pass. I think you'll find these same people arguing that the airworthiness of the plane they rent is the FBO's responsibility and not theirs, etc.

The FAA Chief Counsel has said that the holder of a CFI-IA may give instrument flight training in any aircraft for which he holds the requisite category/class/type ratings on his/her pilot certificate even if s/he doesn't have the requisite category/class ratings on his/her CFI ticket. Personally, I think that's absurd, but that's what they ruled. And yes, the instructor may log PIC time because s/he is an "authorized instructor...acting as an authorized instructor." Likewise, acting as PIC is strictly a pilot certificate, not CFI ticket, issue.

If my earlier statement is correct, the CFI-I could not teach loggable hood time to a primary student since neither they nor the student could act as PIC.
The hooded training a primary student receives is (by FAA Chief Counsel interpretation) "flight training in a single-engine airplane on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments," not "instrument training," so as I read it, a CFI-IA (only) would not be authorized to give that training. As far as I can tell, the only FAA-required flight training a CFI-IA (only) can give is the 15 hours of instrument flight training for the IR, the 10 hours of instrument flight training for CPL (usually covered by the applicant's prior IR training), and an IPC. In addition, the CFI-IA (only) can give instrument ground training (including the sign-off for the instrument written), and instrument training in a flight simulation device. AFAIK, that's it.

Last edited:
Never heard of it, but it's not against the rules, just common sense -- I gotta figure that an initial CFI with both ratings would be a full 2-day affair.

Last edited:

In this area (SW PA) the FSDOs in all the one day flight area are requiring initial CFI applicants ride with the FAA.

The FAA Inspector that I rode with today offered to give me my CFI-IA ride as well.

I might take him up on it!

And I second Ron's comments about DPEs being as tough -- Don in WV did my IA and Comm and there were no breaks.

In fact, my IA still stands as my hardest checkride.

My CFI checkride with the FAA took most of the day. My airplane partner took his CFI checkride one week ago today with a DE. They started at 8:30 a.m. and ended about 6 p.m. The only difference in his situation, really, was that he opted to use two different planes for the flight portion. He had to go through very thoroughly the logs, etc., for each plane so that took quite a bit extra time.

In this area (SW PA) the FSDOs in all the one day flight area are requiring initial CFI applicants ride with the FAA.

The FAA Inspector that I rode with today offered to give me my CFI-IA ride as well.

I might take him up on it!

And I second Ron's comments about DPEs being as tough -- Don in WV did my IA and Comm and there were no breaks.

In fact, my IA still stands as my hardest checkride.

Dan, was this a different inspector, or the same one who gave you the BS about brakes and airworthiness? If it's the same one, then I have to assume that you're just still having the post-passing high.

Dan, was this a different inspector, or the same one who gave you the BS about brakes and airworthiness? If it's the same one, then I have to assume that you're just still having the post-passing high.

LOL!

Good point.

Actually it was a missing static wick and a tiny (3mm) dent.

He was fine today -- and we flew two airplanes -- an A36 and a C172 in MVFR -- gusty, variable winds, the works.

He tried to bait me into talking about lawyers. I asked him to sign a release to fly in the CAP a/c -- I said, "You know, one of those papers the lawyers will tear up and ignore at trial."

"Oh yeah? Those lawyers, hunh?"

I didn't say much.

Later, he said "Why does the Bonanza have a reputation as a Dr killer?"

I told him the history, too much money, not enough experience, etc.

"And those lawyers, too" he said.

I laughed, "Yeah, lawyers."

And let it die.

When I was done he gave me his FAA card.

Then he gave me his second card, "Attorney at Law."

I smiled and said, "Great!"

He tried, oh he tried, but I did not take the bait!!!

;-)

Back