CFI I advice

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
I am considering working on the double I. Any advice from those who already BTDT?

I am considering working on the double I. Any advice from those who already BTDT?

It's a fun add-on. Just review all your IR stuff and practice all the IR procedures from the right seat. PM me and I will share a home made study guide my instructor shared with me that helped prep for the oral.

It's worth it! If you're already comfortable flying on instruments it shouldn't be a big deal at all. The written is pretty much exactly the same as the normal instrument rating written, too.

It is a good challenge. Study procedures and how to teach them. Know that the book answer doesn't leave enough wiggle room to actually work under all real world conditions.... and take time and dedicate some training to early recognition of when students are starting to have problems in the soup.

Bob

On the checkride do you have to fly the instrument procedures from the right seat or do you basically teach them to the examiner and the examiner flies it? If it is the former, isn't it awkward with the instruments on the other side of the panel?

On the checkride do you have to fly the instrument procedures from the right seat or do you basically teach them to the examiner and the examiner flies it? If it is the former, isn't it awkward with the instruments on the other side of the panel?

It's the former. That is part of the process. It takes a little bit to get used to, but it really isn't a big deal once you do.

On my ride more time was spent flying the plane while teaching the examiner about what I was doing. My examiner wanted to know common mistakes associated with certain maneuvers, and he wanted me to teach him how to do a DME ARC (a continuation from one of the subjects he had me teach him during the ground portion).

My examiner did fly some though, he wanted me to tell him where some errors in his scan were occurring.

.... with the instruments on the other side you actually get used to the parallax error after just a few flights

Last edited:

Most of my ride I was the one flying while teaching (from the right seat). The examiner did fly one ILS approach, though. She pretended to be a student and made a whole bunch of deliberate mistakes while I talked her through it. People who know more than you and intentionally "play dumb" are the worst students! :D

Don't get BFRs, get new ratings. It costs more but you might just learn something.

CFI/CFII rides don't exempt you from needing a BFR.

I have been flying since 2005 without ever getting a BFR. Am I illegal? :no: I got a new certificate,rating every or every other year.

61.56(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, passed a pilot proficiency check conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.

Besides if your in the Wings program new ratings get you (a bunch of) Wings credit anyway.

I have been flying since 2005 without ever getting a BFR. Am I illegal? :no: I got a new certificate,rating every or every other year.

61.56(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, passed a pilot proficiency check conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.

Besides if your in the Wings program new ratings get you (a bunch of) Wings credit anyway.

An instructor certificate is not a pilot certificate.

How do BFRs have anything to do with this thread?

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...00/interpretations/data/interps/2008/Levy.pdf

"A flight instructor practical test is not a pilot proficiency check for a pilot certificate, rating or an operating privilege, or any other acceptable substitute for a flight review specifically listed in § 61.56( d)."

Sorry for getting off topic...

CFI/CFII rides don't exempt you from needing a BFR.

An instructor certificate is not a pilot certificate.

How do BFRs have anything to do with this thread?

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/data/interps/2008/levy.pdf

OK yeah you guys are right. The DPE has to also endorse your logbook. I get away with it because I am in the Wings program and new instuctor credits get you like full master wings. Of course Wings is essentially the DPE electronically endorsing it anyway.

Both, and yes. Learning to fly instruments cross-cockpit takes some time and effort. In addition, when the examiner is flying and your hood is off, you have to maintain proper visual lookout while still monitoring the instruments, detecting errors, and teaching. That, I think, is the hardest part of being an instrument instructor. Because of that, I think very solid instrument interpretation skills and comfort in the IFR system are essential, since that part has to be nearly second nature for you be able to divide up and shift your attention fast enough. If you don't already have a good bit of in-the-system IFR experience when you go to add the -IA rating, you may have problems on the ride and even if you pass, may not be a very effective and safe instrument instructor.

Jeanie, I'm getting close to biting the bullet and doing this as well. Let me know how it goes for you.

I've been practicing some approaches from the right seat, and it's somehow harder to do the scan looking across the cockpit than looking in front of you.

~ Christopher

Jeanie, I'm getting close to biting the bullet and doing this as well. Let me know how it goes for you.

I've been practicing some approaches from the right seat, and it's somehow harder to do the scan looking across the cockpit than looking in front of you.

~ Christopher

~~~~~~~~~. I flew under the hood the other day for about 2 hrs. And man, I got a crick in my neck, finally took it off and just didn't look outside. I think I've figured out how to make it sit better on my head so I don't have to hold me head and neck so screwed sideways. It didn't take long to adjust to the parallax with the dg. Towards the end of that flight is when I did the DME arc for fun.
Of course looking across a 152 cockpit isn't far as compared to say a 182.

Back