CFI gifts for soloing

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
so in someone else's post about soloing, someone mentioned it's 'normal' to get your CFI a gift when you solo. being that I'm close to solo, I had already picked up a couple of cigars for us and planned on getting him a bottle of wine as well. the bottle is probably more for his wife, who puts up with him spending a lot of time at the airport (there's always multiple txt msgs waiting for him after our lessons..."where are u", "when r u coming home" yadda yadda).

but I just wanted to get a feel for what others have given their CFi's as a thank you for your solo?

thanks.

I think cigars are fine. Maybe wait until after you get your ticket and then get a nice bottle of scotch. Or a Breitling.

I never received a gift from a student that had just soloed....received one free dinner after a restaurant manager got his private ticket.

Bob Gardner

My first instructor and I did not click well...actually not at all. I felt I was owed a gift in addition to my solo...I was shocked that I didn't have a gift waiting upon my third landing :)

I'd never heard of a solo gift.. I gave my primary CFI a prepaid visa card after my PPL ride. Had the same guy for the instrument and didnt get him anything. Got my commercial CFI a 6 pack of his favorite beer.

It was customary in the Navy to give the instructor a bottle of his favorite upon completion of the first solo.

I think cigars are fine. Maybe wait until after you get your ticket and then get a nice bottle of scotch. Or a Breitling.

I'll take that any day as a solo or a ticket gift!!:D

At our school normally nothing is given to the CFI. This is mostly because all of us know each other and hang out. So the student can either by a round at the next outing or just a thank you (which goes along way).

My CFI actually gave ME a quote plaque with the date and his signature on the back.

I'm going to hang it in my briefing room as soon as our Chief assigns us our rooms.

Last edited:
ya, I feel like I get along pretty good with my CFI, so it's less of a 'gift' and more of a "hey, you put up with me and I just solo'd, so let's celebrate" kind of thing.

looking forward to a cigar and a beer with my instructor.

I never received and never gave and personally prefer it that way.

Didn't give one, never heard of it.
Did give a nice bottle of my Scotch to my CFII after the IFR ride though because I saw someone else do it.

Back