CFI for dangerous case?

Could you elaborate on this? Is it the type of distraction where he hears his cell phone going off in the back seat and reaches back to get it while driving 60 MPH, or is it more of a wandering eyes situation as he passes buildings and what not along the road? Perhaps you don't know, but I'm curious if you do.

What was the nature of the crash?

Let's assume he is. Why would he fly only 5-10 training hours a year if that's the case? I'd be asking him to fly more, assuming he is serious. If he is clearly not serious, I would do what the others say and leave your name out of his logbook, emphasizing that you're there to allow him to fly for pleasure, and not for the end-goal of obtaining a PPL -- because these are two completely different approaches to sitting in the right seat.

This needs to be communicated with the student. Depending on how he acts towards you, this can be either very difficult or very easy. If he can come to an agreement on this, that is great. Yes, there is a track record of disobeying an instructor's orders, which is a concern. Go with your gut on this. If there is any room for leeway, I would make clear the consequences of disobeying your order to not solo -- which may need to involve the FAA.

A well thought out, polite, and literate post that responds directly to the issues raised, welcome to POA!

Wait, a well thought out, polite, and literate post that responds directly to the issues raised, are you sure you're in the right building?

A well thought out, polite, and literate post that responds directly to the issues raised, welcome to POA!

Wait, a well thought out, polite, and literate post that responds directly to the issues raised, are you sure you're in the right building?
Thanks for the warm welcome!

If you intend to do flight instruction (for others besides him) it seems to me the cost of the plane doesn't matter. The student should be paying for it, so you shouldn't care if it's free or $500/hour. As such taking the risks associated with this guy simply to use his plane seems like a lot of risk for basically zero gain. If you want the plane for personal use there's more to gain, but IMHO not enough to make it worthwhile. I'd walk away.

I think what you need to do is talk over the dangers he faces when flying solo. Not just should an accident happen but what about if the FAA catches him. There would surely be civil penalties and quiterrafugia possibly issues with your ratings as well.
When people do dumb things, they often don't think through the ramifications of their actions. Speeding, for instance, or dwi. There are some things you just might not recover from, those intangibles like flying your ultralight onto the White House lawn or posting some racist propaganda on social media like facebook.

Logging the Hobbs is a good idea, but doesn't prevent the flight.
Make a deal, you buy a prop lock and keep the keys. (and monitor the Hobbs)
Good luck.

Now this would create liability. Seizure of another's property, OP becomes personally liable for any damage while in his possession and control. Walk away from this suggestion, on second thought run.:eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back