CFI Flight Test

good luck bud, just finished my binder today!! On to my 60 hours of chair flying lol... and then some flight time

Fixed. It's all those pilot mills, not just the ATP brand of schools. It's so bad down here. I knew it was this bad nor could it be this bad before I started training and flying down here. My flight school is great, it's an awesome locally owned place and even though there are 26 airplanes and 12+ CFIs everyone knows almost every student and we're learning how to fly airplanes not how to get a job with an airline. Unfortunately due to the geographic location of where I fly we have to deal with those scary pilots who may or may not be as proficient as they should be.

Where are you flying out of? Flying in the California valley you deal with alot of it too. Anyone around castle knows it :rofl:. I went to a 141 school that was 1 on 1 instruction and absolutely great so I know where you're coming from.

Where are you flying out of? Flying in the California valley you deal with alot of it too. Anyone around castle knows it :rofl:. I went to a 141 school that was 1 on 1 instruction and absolutely great so I know where you're coming from.

I fly out of KCHD in the Phoenix area. My school is also 141, though for my instrument I'm doing 61.

Why 61? you must have a better home study ethic than me :yes:

The chief CFI said since I'm using my own airplane they wanted me to do 61 this time. I'm still doing the whole 141 syllabus but all the paperwork is 61. I did 141 for my private and it worked out really well because I'm probably not the best home-studier. That reminds me, I should stop messing around on the internet and study for my written..... :lol:

The chief CFI said since I'm using my own airplane they wanted me to do 61 this time. I'm still doing the whole 141 syllabus but all the paperwork is 61. I did 141 for my private and it worked out really well because I'm probably not the best home-studier. That reminds me, I should stop messing around on the internet and study for my written..... :lol:
Oh, own plane...gotcha. Yeah, I like 141 for the same reason

I took mine with the FSDO.

A good friend of mine told me this;

"If you suck the big one, you will fail and rightfully so.

If you know your chit you will pass and have nothing to worry about

Why bother worrying, you know your stuff or you dont, it will be decided shortly."

Those words gave me a good piece of mind, passed first time.

Right now I am studying the notes from the accelerated school and going through the cfi pts.

I have to remind myself that this is for fun and I should enjoy it. sigh.

Right there with you...

I am about to test also... Doing a little... :mad2: as I study..

Yeah, probably a good idea. I know Ill keep that in mind. Im probably gonna be going through San Jose FSDO. Anyone know anything?

I did my CFI initial with Tom Hornak, 6.5 hour oral with some very odd questions. The flight test was normal except the power-off 180 landing. Combined it with a manual gear extension causing some issues.

Ron

I did my CFI initial with Tom Hornak, 6.5 hour oral with some very odd questions. The flight test was normal except the power-off 180 landing. Combined it with a manual gear extension causing some issues.

Ron

Awesome to see more locals (mountain view) on here. Though 26 posts since 2005 isn't very many.

Good luck on the test.

As far as 5-6 hour orals and tough tests go, as a "consumer" of CFI "products" I don't find that excessive. I'm cool with FAA grilling CFIs. (Yeah if "someday" I ever decide to do it, karma will remember this post. Heh.)

How many hours of apprenticeship does any other profession where you can kill someone through omission have? :)

Awesome to see more locals (mountain view) on here. Though 26 posts since 2005 isn't very many.

(Sheepish grin) You busted me, I haven't been on the boards much between a very demanding day job, lots of flight training and flying on my own, it doesn't leave lots of time to be on here. But I'm around if needed.

PS- I tend do do a lot more on twitter, just ask Nate (above) ;-)

Last edited:
Would signing up for an online CFI refresher course be beneficial for the oral? It was suggested on the red board.

Would signing up for an online CFI refresher course be beneficial for the oral? It was suggested on the red board.

I was wondering the same thing, of course I was looking at the cheapest option which is American Flyers at $125 for a lifetime of refresher courses (online). It may do more harm than good?

I suppose you could use it as a review of your knowledge, but that's all it is -- a review of all the material you should have learned during your CFI training. It is not meant as a tool to teach you all that material, just refresh your knowledge and maybe pick up on a few points which have changed in the last two years. Just going back over your CFI study material (books, notes, etc) will probably do just as well. What will really benefit you for that initial CFI oral is a face-to-face practice oral with an experienced instructor who knows both the material and how the real oral is conducted.

I love the online courses, easy to learn online, tests its very visual and really helps. I've learned alot offline I m doing my PPL online course.

Back