CFI Checkride

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
All in all a long day (7 hour checkride at the FSDO), but I came home with a temporary certificate in my wallet that says "Flight Instructor." Full writeup to follow. :D

All in all a long day (7 hour checkride at the FSDO), but I came home with a temporary certificate in my wallet that says "Flight Instructor." Full writeup to follow. :D
:thumbsup: Very nice, Jason!

Thanks, everyone! Here's the writeup as promised.

The day began at 5:15am checking weather and NOTAMs for OXC, BDL, BAF, and 7B2. OXC was 1 ½ SM, VV003 and BDL was 2SM BKN014 so I filed an IFR flight plan and hopped in the shower to get ready. I arrived at OXC around 6:45am where I checked the weather again with no significant changes, so I picked up my clearance and launched for BDL where I shot the ILS 24 and broke out around where the reported ceiling was. I taxiied to the FSDO on the southeast corner of the field, unloaded all of my stuff (books, etc.) and walked inside where I turned over the aircraft maintenance logbooks and patiently waited for the inspector to greet me.

The inspector arrived around 8:30am and gave me a quick tour of the building and then we set all of my stuff down in the conference room where we would complete the oral exam. I organized myself and spread out my reference materials on the table while he also organized his materials. He introduced himself and explained his aviation background (ex military and 121) and then I shared a little bit about myself. He seemed very personable and I felt comfortable from the beginning given his friendly and sincere nature. He opened up a binder with the Flight Instructor Single Engine Airplane PTS and discussed the three possible outcomes of the checkride – approval, discontinuance due to aircraft airworthiness or weather issues, or disapproval resulting in a pink slip and having to return for a re-test.

I presented him with my identification and after some brief discussion we got started with the oral. We discussed flight instructor characteristics and responsibilities. He asked who were some of the best and worst flight instructors I had flown with previously and to describe the characteristics that I would like to emulate and avoid in my instruction as a CFI. I had my AGI/IGI so we didn’t delve into any other task in area of operation I (fundamentals of instruction).

Next was area of operation II (technical subject areas). He advised the PTS stated the examiner was to select task “L” and one other task, so he gave me the choice of what I would like to teach him. I decided on task “J, National Airspace System” and taught him a lesson on airspace including pilot and aircraft requirements, VFR weather minima, special use airspace, TFRs, and answered other random questions. TFRs were specifically emphasized as the inspector mentioned they deal with too many TFR violations that never had to happen if those pilots were given proper instruction in the subject. He asked that I tailor the lesson to a presolo student pilot so I had to simplify each and every detail so a new student would clearly understand. We also covered required logbook entries and endorsements and delved into the requirements in Part 61 for recreational, private, and commercial pilots including the endorsements required for each to take the practical test with some brief guidance from AC61-65E.

Once again, he let me choose which task to teach in area of operation III (preflight procedures) so I decided on certificates and documents. We reviewed the eligibility, aeronautical experience, and knowledge required for recreational, private, and commercial pilots and class/duration of medical certificates. He welcomed the use of my notes and lesson plan for both this lesson, airspace, and the maneuver to teach (area of operation IV) so I gladly obliged.

We wrapped up area of operation III and moved onto a lesson on chandelles to a new commercial student. I broke the maneuver up into components and drew a diagram on the board. I also opened up the Airplane Flying Handbook to the graphical figure to explain how the maneuver looks and is completed. Next we discussed some common student errors and then the inspector offered a critique, saying that he would have also added the use of another training aid such as a model airplane to show how the maneuver looks as it gives a more realistic (3D) perspective.

After the lesson on chandelles, we discussed the preflight inspection and basically followed the PTS verbatim for this task as well as radio communication and ATC light gun signals in the following area of operation (VI). We wrapped up our discussion with the AIM and assigning the appropriate section to students as a “homework” assignment to new students to read up on proper radio phraseology and procedures. Not too long after he mentioned that I had passed the oral and was very well prepared and we took a brief break for lunch.

I had a quick bite to eat and then called FSS for a weather briefing and found that the local weather was not terrible, but less than forecast. BDL and BAF were calling for 5SM HZ and some scattered layers around 3,200 AGL. We decided to head out and start the preflight where I demonstrated how to preflight, what we are looking for with each component, use of the checklist, and how to detect defects fuel contamination, etc. Upon completing the pre-flight we buckled in and I gave the inspector a full safety briefing before starting the engine. I ran through the before starting, starting, and after starting checklist and then called clearance for a squawk code. The inspector looked to the north and saw a lot of cloud buildup and haze so he asked me to request a southerly departure to HFD at 2,500 which I did. We briefed ahead of time that he would taxi the aircraft as there are no toe brakes on the copilot rudder pedals in the Mooney. He went ahead and taxied to runway 33 while I reminded him to complete a brake check and read the taxi checklist. Upon reaching the runway I completed the run-up while coordinating with the inspector who was holding the brakes. Next thing you know, we were airborne and headed south to HFD to complete a full stop landing.

Enroute to HFD I was asked to demonstrate and discuss straight and level flight and then brief a short field landing. We made a full stop landing at HFD and taxied back to runway 20 for a short field takeoff which I briefed while the inspector taxied the aircraft. We completed the short field takeoff and then cleared the area to the south where I donned the foggles and completed basic attitude instrument flying and recovered from two unusual attitudes. After the instrument work was all done, we set up for steep turns. He decided to demonstrate the maneuver pretending to be a student while I was tasked with critiquing his performance. He lost about 120 feet in the turn so I briefly discussed overbanking tendency and also the importance of shallowing the turn before increasing back pressure to correct for the altitude loss.

Next was the chandelle demonstration which he was happy with. We ended up at the 180 degree point at approximately 5 knots above the stall, on a 180 degree heading, and I was satisfied with my demonstration. The inspector then started scoping out an area for us to complete eights on pylons but unfortunately we were over the Connecticut river with few points to choose from and numerous power lines and obstructions in our way. We circled north hoping for some more promising landmarks to complete the maneuver up that way but ran out of luck so we had to turn around and head all the way south to the shoreline where we completed the maneuver around two islands.

After eights on pylons we climbed back up to complete a power off stall in a 20 degree left turn and a 20 degree right turn and an elevator trim stall demonstration which the inspector accepted though we completed the power off (approach to landing) stall twice.

After the stall recoveries we simulated an engine failure and later, an electrical fire. I ran and spoke through the appropriate flows and procedures and verified by reading the items off the checklist. Enroute back to BDL, the inspector asked me to discuss carburetor icing even though it didn’t apply to the fuel injected Mooney we were flying. I started to talk about the subject and he finished by sharing some of his wisdom and what he has seen over the years relating to carburetor ice and engine failures.

I called up approach and advised we were landing BDL and obtained a squawk code and pattern entry – left base to runway 24. We were handed off to tower not too much later and asked the inspector what type of landing he would like to see. To my surprise he wanted a normal landing but asked to touchdown between the touchdown zone markers and the runway aiming point (1000 ft.) markers. On the way to BDL he asked me to discuss rectangular courses and their relationship to the traffic pattern. After the brief discussion and answering a few questions about adding gust factors to approach speeds, we touched down on runway 24 about 50 feet beyond the touchdown zone markers and he seemed pleased. ATC instructed us to turn left on runway 19 and contact ground so I switched frequencies and obtained a taxi clearance to the FSDO ramp. The inspector and I exchanged flight controls via the three step process (we utilized this procedure throughout the entire flight check) and he taxied in and parked the aircraft as I completed the shutdown checklist.

We secured the aircraft with chocks and debriefed on the short walk back into the FSDO and proceeded to the conference room for me to retrieve my stuff while he got started with IACRA which he mentioned he was using for the first time ever. About a half hour later I had the plane loaded back up and a new temporary certificate in my pocket. After a handshake and a smile from the inspector who said I was very well prepared and appreciated the fact that I didn't waste his time like some other CFI original flight check applicants that have gone through the BDL FSDO, I walked out to the plane and did a brief walkaround before hopping in to go home.

As I turned the key to start, the prop didn’t turn an inch and all I could hear was a single clicking noise, which was the starter engaging but not turning. It turned out to be a bad starter so I was stranded until someone flew in to pick me up. The owner of the aircraft (who is also a mechanic) and I flew up this morning to swap the starter and low and behold that’s all it was. At least it worked perfectly for the checkride. All in all a long day, but an enjoyable experience and I learned a lot from the entire process. I appreciated the FAA’s friendly attitude and was impressed by their professional and genuine behavior. It was fun, but I’m sure glad it’s over. Now I just have to remember to renew my new certificate before 07/2012. :goofy:

If you can debried your students after their flights as well as you debriefed us on your ride, you're going to do very, very well as a CFI. Well done!

i just actually read the whole report.

you should've walked back into the fsdo and asked your examiner if he would hand prop the mooney for you :D

1) Jason, congratulations. I'm not surprised in the least that you passed.

2) Maybe it's age, but I couldn't tell you 5 minutes after a checkride anything more than the DPEs name, if that. Great summary. Thanks for the details.

3) Did I mention congratulations?

Back