CFI checkride story

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
Well, after a 4 ½ hour oral and 1.4 on the Hobbs, I’m a know-just-enough-to-be-dangerous-yet-legal CFI.

I thought I would share some of the specifics with the group.

I had a DE for the checkride. I very nice and pleasant gentleman. We met a 11 am and exchanged some pleasantries bought a couple cokes and went right to work.

First assignment was to show and teach him about all the paperwork required for the checkride both on the applicant and the airplane. This included all the endorsements required to qualify for the checkride.

Next, some questions on the FOI material, Types of learning, forgetting, CFI responsibilities, professionalism, minimizing student frustrations.

Then we did endorsements and I had to walk him through all the steps from a “Gee I’d really like to learn to fly someday” person to a certificated private pilot. We talked about aviation security and what needs to be done prior to getting a student pilot’s license.

After that he wanted a detailed explanation of what makes an airplane fly. I started with “Lots of money, a ton of paperwork and one really broke pilot. Since that didn’t pass muster, I went into the long winded story using the white board and my brand new Dry-Erase markers of Bernoulli’s Principle, airfoil anatomy, airflow, Newton’s Laws and blah blah blah. I had to do lessons on every stall in the PTS.

We did regulations on airspace, transponders, ELT, annuals, hundred hour inspections and who can perform them. We did regulations on CFI’s i.e. when can I begin training other CFI’s.

We did a little on aeromedical factors and aeronautical decision making. We talked about weight and balance, stalls and stability. We talked about spins.

I had to teach Lazy-8’s and Chandelles.

He got up and stated that he was satisfied with my knowledge and teaching ability and stated, “…so how ‘bout we go flying?”

This was my most feared part really. I was very secure in my knowledge and ability to teach. It was my demonstrations of commercial maneuvers that scared me.

We got a bite to eat first and had a change to talk about ourselves and life in general.

At the airplane he wanted me to teach him about preflight and taxi. After the run-up he wanted me to teach and demonstrate a crosswind takeoff. That was no problem the wind was 070@13G20 and we have runway 1-19 at my airport. Next he said, “Teach me about a normal climb and then Straight and Level flight while we’re going out to the practice area.” In the practice area he wanted to see slow flight, a power-off stall, then a power-on stall and then a secondary stall. Clearing turns first before all of them of course. While I was performing a power-off stall he gave me a distraction of insisting to see the Panel Page on the GPS. He wanted to do Lazy-8’s, then a few Chandelles, then simulated engine failure with a steep spiral to a landing field (my best yet). Then we went back to the airport and did a 180 degree accuracy landing (it was perfect!), a short field takeoff and landing, a soft field takeoff and lastly a soft field landing which was one of the worst landings I did that day. In my defense it was really gusting while on the approach with lots of turbulence and I ended up bouncing the landing. The DE was not happy and stated, “…that’s all my bravery for one day, let’s take it back to the hangar…”

I was sure I failed on that last landing until he added, “…so I can write you up your new CFI ticket.” YES!!!! Thank you!!!!

Now I just need to sign some logbooks.

Gene

Great story! Congrats on a job well done!

A BIG congrats to you... Thank god we have another CFI to teach the next generation the glory of flight...:D:D:yesnod::yesnod:

Tailwinds,

Ben.

Wow, that's fantastic. Congratulations. You must be very happy.

Great writeup, too. Someday I may subject myself to the same kind of punishment, so it's good to know what to expect.

Awesome! I can't imagine how tough the oral for a CFI must be!! Sounds brutal.

Is it just as rough when you go back to get the CFII?

congrats! no small accomplishment, take time to celebrate.

troy - in my experience, the "add on" CFI checkrides (CFII, MEI, CFIG) were not nearly as intense as the initial checkride.

Congratulations, Gene! I don't know that I have the patience required to teach. :no: Good on ya!

Gene,

Contrats! I'm working on my first homework assignment in preparation for my own CFI certificate. Good to know that hard-work does pay off.

Joe

Congrats! Its deffinitly an acheivment to be proud of.

Consider yourself lucky that you only had a 4 hour oral. My Oral started at 9:00AM and we only went out to the plane at 4:45PM!!!

Congrats! Its deffinitly an acheivment to be proud of.

Consider yourself lucky that you only had a 4 hour oral. My Oral started at 9:00AM and we only went out to the plane at 4:45PM!!!

When I did my initial CFI (early 90's) we had to go to the FSDO. If they were too busy they would let you go to a DE. When my training partner and I went in they had one spot available for the next six weeks.

He got to go with the ops inspector, lucky bugger. His oral was 90 minutes and the flight with taxi times lasted 1 hour. He was done with his paperwork and had his temporary in time for lunch.

I got to go to a DE. My oral went over 8 hours. it was in winter, so I had to come back the next day to fly. The flight was great, it lasted 3 1/2 hours.

At the time the DE's were under such scrutiny from the feds over the CFI initials that we did every item in depth from the entire PTS. It was extremely exhausting.

When I did my initial CFI (early 90's) we had to go to the FSDO. If they were too busy they would let you go to a DE. When my training partner and I went in they had one spot available for the next six weeks.

He got to go with the ops inspector, lucky bugger. His oral was 90 minutes and the flight with taxi times lasted 1 hour. He was done with his paperwork and had his temporary in time for lunch.

I got to go to a DE. My oral went over 8 hours. it was in winter, so I had to come back the next day to fly. The flight was great, it lasted 3 1/2 hours.

At the time the DE's were under such scrutiny from the feds over the CFI initials that we did every item in depth from the entire PTS. It was extremely exhausting.
Ouch!

Mine was with a DPE but it was by sheer luck the school had an office at CHA otherwise it would have been with the Atlanta FSDO. It was still almost five hours with another ninety minutes on the retake. Ben had this knack for skipping a task such as systems then when you get to malfunctions, he'd use your "open mouth, insert foot" skill to go back to systems. I don't think there was a single task we didn't touch on in some fashion.

The ride was 1.9 but would have been a tad shorter were it not for mixing it up with heavier traffic into CHA.

Had it been with the FSDO, an eight hours oral was pretty much assured.

Back