CFI and Ground Instructor

chickencanfly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chickencanfly
Passed AGI, FOI, FIA written exams. I can apply for Advanced Ground Instructor at local FSDO immediately. I am planning on getting CFI certification in the next 12 months (busy with work now). Can I wait until I get CFI to apply for Advanced Ground Instructor or I have to apply now so I would not lose it?

Yup, do it now. 1.8 years into my ATP written....I had to “rent” SIU’s DPE to get it done. Don’t let that happen to you!

Since I took my AI, CPA, CFI, CFII, ATP Airplane and AGI/FOI at the FSDO, I was issued an AGI on the spot.

I am assuming you must take your completion certificate to the FSDO and they process the certificate. Does that mean you must complete another IACRA?

This is the first time I have thought of this scenario...

Since I took my AI, CPA, CFI, CFII, ATP Airplane and AGI/FOI at the FSDO, I was issued an AGI on the spot.

I am assuming you must take your completion certificate to the FSDO and they process the certificate. Does that mean you must complete another IACRA?

This is the first time I have thought of this scenario...

Yes, you must complete an IACR for the AGI.

Does an AGI give you any advantages over a CFI?

Mostly 2 things.

You can give ground instruction without having to log the name and certificate of everyone you give it to.

It is a requirement to become a Gold Seal flight instructor.

Passed AGI, FOI, FIA written exams. I can apply for Advanced Ground Instructor at local FSDO immediately. I am planning on getting CFI certification in the next 12 months (busy with work now). Can I wait until I get CFI to apply for Advanced Ground Instructor or I have to apply now so I would not lose it?

I've had an AGI for many years. I am not sure how I ended up with it, but I have no idea what it is good for.

...Unless you have a CFI, right?
Actually I believe you can sign the student's logbook as an AGI, rather than a CFI, and then you logging those details for each student is not required. (I believe the King's do this for the written test endorsements based on their online course.)

Back