Cessnas wayyyy inside the ADIZ?

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
as I was driving in to work this morning, on the Dulles Toll Road, I saw a little Cessna circling the toll road, near Reston Town Center. I assume he was on a traffic watch, as he kept circling the road. Then I saw him straighten out and continue flying east. I lost sight of him as he went over Tyson's Corner. This is WELL inside the 30 mile radius of National Airport.

How does one get permission to fly that far inside the ADIZ? especially the inner perimeter? Would that be considered a commercial flight, if he were indeed a traffic pilot?

In 2003 I saw something similar, only in Arlington along 66! I was flabbergasted. Only this guy seemed to be going straight along 66, and sure seemed low. It was kinda neat to see him there actually.

thoughts?

woodstock said:
as I was driving in to work this morning, on the Dulles Toll Road, I saw a little Cessna circling the toll road, near Reston Town Center. I assume he was on a traffic watch, as he kept circling the road. Then I saw him straighten out and continue flying east. I lost sight of him as he went over Tyson's Corner. This is WELL inside the 30 mile radius of National Airport.
Probably with in the Potomac Class B too, depending on his altitude.

How does one get permission to fly that far inside the ADIZ? especially the inner perimeter?
Easy. File a flight plan with a route from, oh, say, Leesburg back to Leesburg. Launch, remain in pattern. Contact ATC and request bravo clearance for traffic monitoring, sight seeing, whatever and reference your flight plan.

Would that be considered a commercial flight, if he were indeed a traffic pilot?
Irrelevant for clearance. I've flown sight seeing inside the ADIZ over the Harbor on several occasions and also inside the Potomac Bravo between MTN and Leesburg.

In 2003 I saw something similar, only in Arlington along 66! I was flabbergasted. Only this guy seemed to be going straight along 66, and sure seemed low. It was kinda neat to see him there actually.

thoughts?
Hopefully he was there legally and not underflying the radar? :)

I know you can fly inside the ADIZ, I do all the time, but I thought the inner 30 mile circle was simply verboten - too close to DC?

woodstock said:
I know you can fly inside the ADIZ, I do all the time, but I thought the inner 30 mile circle was simply verboten - too close to DC?
PART III. THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES APPLY WITHIN THE WASHINGTON DC METROPOLITAN FRZ. A. UNLESS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED BY THE FAA IN CONSULTATION WITH THE UNITED STATES SECRET SERVICE AND THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, ALL PARTS 91, 101, 103, 105, 125, 133, 135, 137 FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN THE WASHINGTON D.C. METROPOLITAN FRZ.
He must have gotten Secret Service clearance I guess. :)

wow, for a chance to fly that close to everything I think I'd try to get Secret Service Clearance too. Now the only way you can see anything at all in DC is to fly commercially out of National. wonder where he flew into/out of.

Probably a Law Enforcement flight if it was in the "no fly" zone. FBI uses some cessna 182's and 206's for observation.

Waivers of the ADIZ and the FRZ are available under certain conditions and with certain security requirements.

Back