Cessna's new Columbia line

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
So the persistent rumors that Cessna was in talks to buy Columbia were not confirmed by Jack Pelton today. So obviously not confirmed that it appears to be a nearly done deal. Pelton gave a detailed roundup of Cessna's development programs, but made absolutely no mention of the NGP. When asked about the rumors of a Columbia purchase, he gave a "no comment." Which, of course, means either "the final papers aren't signed yet" or "we want to have something to announce at AOPA Expo next week."

Scuttlebutt is that the NGP isn't working out very well and the purchase price of Columbia would be less than fixing the NGP and then certifying it. Look for Cessna to close down the Columbia plant and move everything to Independence.

Actually, I think Cessna is buying Columbia because they've been jealous that all the cool airplanes are low-wings, and this way they can get in on the coolness factor. :D

Actually, I think Cessna is buying Columbia because they've been jealous that all the cool airplanes are low-wings, and this way they can get in on the coolness factor. :D
If that's all they wanted, they could start up C310 production again. :p

I think they're probably looking for a model that doesn't kill inexperienced pilots on contact. :yes:
Hey, not fair! Both Leslie and I have 310 time earned when we had less than 50 hours PIC, and we're not dead!:no::rolleyes:

I think they're probably looking for a model that doesn't kill inexperienced pilots on contact. :yes:

Hey! I resemble that remark! (except the being dead part.... hahahah)

I have to say that the 310 is a plane which does require some training, but is no more a killer than any other aircraft flown by the under trained (think Dr killers).

I got my ME and MEI in my 310, and though it may not be my dream aircraft, it is a very solid platform. Like any aircraft, it has its quirks, but to single it out as a killer is doing it an injustice.

Hey! I resemble that remark! (except the being dead part.... hahahah)

I have to say that the 310 is a plane which does require some training, but is no more a killer than any other aircraft flown by the under trained (think Dr killers).

I got my ME and MEI in my 310, and though it may not be my dream aircraft, it is a very solid platform. Like any aircraft, it has its quirks, but to single it out as a killer is doing it an injustice.

Oh no doubt. I actually quite love the 310, and would give just about anything to get a chance to fly one. I've just heard they're nasty when it comes to Vmc and, like you said, require some training and extra attention. My comment was based entirely on hersay and was really just an ill-fated attempt at being funny. :goofy:

Update: Mere hours after not commenting, Cessna issued a press release saying they were going to buy Columbia. I guess they knew the cat was out of the bag.

Darn, now I'm going to have to stop making nasty comments about Cessnas. As for moving production, I think they might which would be a huge mistake. The assembly plant is going great guns right now. It would be prudent for Cessna to just leave things alone, and cahnge the name on teh fuselage. But, that would be prudent, so Cessna won't do it.

Who knows maybe they could take the columbia door latch and incorporate it into their current piston line.....:rofl:

Here's the press release. (Since by their nature they aren't copyrighted, I'm posting it here in its entirety except for contact and background info):
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Cessna Aircraft Enters Acquisition Discussions with Columbia Aircraft
[/FONT]
spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wichita, KS and Bend, OR, September 24, 2007 – Cessna Aircraft Company, the world’s leading manufacturer of general aviation aircraft and a subsidiary of Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT), said today it has signed a Letter of Intent (LOI) with Columbia Aircraft Manufacturing Corporation to acquire selected assets and certain liabilities of the Bend, Oregon-based aircraft manufacturer.

According to Cessna Chairman, President and CEO Jack J. Pelton, “Columbia’s unique capability in the high-end single-engine piston market makes it a perfect complement to our Next Generation Piston product line and could provide our customers with the option of an outstanding low-wing, high-performance piston airplane. We believe the combination of this superb product line and Cessna’s world class support structure and brand will be unbeatable.”

Columbia today filed a voluntary petition for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.

“We have explored many options over the past months,” said Columbia Chief Restructuring Officer Carl Young. “This path enables the Company to manage its present cash flow and liabilities while pursuing a plan that enables us to continue operating until a final sale can be completed.”

Columbia submitted a motion with the Bankruptcy Court seeking approval of the sale to Cessna and establishing bidding procedures that enable other interested bidders to submit offers and bid at an auction to be held in November. The sale to Cessna is contingent upon the approval of the Bankruptcy Court and the satisfaction of the closing conditions set forth in the LOI, including the execution of a definitive purchase agreement with Cessna.

“The sale of Columbia Aircraft Manufacturing assets to Cessna offers the best avenue to maximize value for all of Columbia’s stakeholders and existing and future customers. Cessna is excited about the prospect of adding the Columbia products to its product line and will provide additional capabilities, world-class processes and financial strength to effectively serve existing Columbia customers and grow the business. Under the agreement reached with Cessna all product warranty and service issues will continue to be honored post-acquisition and customers should expect an enhanced customer experience once the deal closes,” Young said.

Young emphasized that the bankruptcy filing was deemed necessary to enable the Company to continue its operations including manufacturing and delivering of new aircraft and uninterrupted support of the installed customer through parts, warranty and technical assistance.
[/FONT]

Note that Pelton says "complement" to the NGP, though I doubt he would admit to replacing it as part of this announcement even if it were the case.

Darn. Count me as among those who were very interested to see where the NGP would lead (hoping for a 210 for the new millenium, frankly). Columbia's are nice airplanes, but a bit small inside. It doesn't bother me, but my pax (mainly my wife) wants as big a greenhouse as you can get.

So, with this move, where does the NGP program go? Build a bigger (say, 5 seat) Columbia 400? Use the Columbia brains to help with the highwing NGP program? Plug the Columbia 350/400 into the high end of the Cessna piston line and leave it at that?

Ken,

Any truth to the rumor that Northrop Grumman is buying Tiger Aircraft LLC?

:D

Ken,
Any truth to the rumor that Northrop Grumman is buying Tiger Aircraft LLC?
:D
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Interesting news about Epic's new HUGE corporate partner, too. Well THAT oughta fund certification!! Oh yeah, Schrameck made me promise not to let the cat out of the bag until tomorrow. Sorry, Charlie.

Back