Cessna With Droop Tips.

If you're flying a Cessna with droop tips that truly are a part of a complete STOL kit, the STC probably has a POH addendum that is technically required to be in the aircraft. Ask the owner where the POH changes are. They'll include (usually) adjusted stall and approach speeds.

172Ms aren't required to have POH's at all. That requirement showed up in 1978, during the "N" model run.

I've flown M and N models with 160 and 180 HP, with and without STOL kits, and I don't see much difference. Unless there is some reason to land fast (e.g., gusts or heavy loads), they behave a whole lot better on the slow end of the POH range for approach speed (60 KIAS).

Last edited:
Well I made it. Winds 220@13 gusting to 17.

"Ace" Demers has to hold the record...........wait, the record is held by Jim Bede.

"Ace" Demers has to hold the record of aviation's second biggest bovine excrementor.

Those ugly tips are completely worthless, except for lightening your wallet, bloodying your head, and adding weight to your otherwise nice looking airplane.

yes. That's why you should be looking down the runway with occasional cross-checks to the side.

Holding it off would assume I have the right height above the surface when I made the transition, Correct?

Back