Cessna V-Brace

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I've seen mixed comments on this and I expect no less here :).
For 180's, 185's & 206's
Is the V-Brace (just behind the windshield) necessary for NON-float operations? I've heard people say to leave it in or it DRAMATICALLY decreases airframe strength, but other than some windshield squeak I haven't seen any evidence of this. Some say it is absolutely necessary unless you're flying from pavement to pavement on soft tires, where others say they've been flying in the back country for 40 years without it and no problems. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Why not call Cessna? It might take a while to find the right person, but there are some people there who are extremely knowledgeable about the old products

I have never seen a cessna on float without a v brace, also I'm about 98% sure that the v brace was part of the factory float kit.

I have never seen a cessna on float without a v brace, also I'm about 98% sure that the v brace was part of the factory float kit.
I know but I'm asking about non-float. Wheeled Cessnas.

The 206 I have time in doesn't have the brace. I didn't think they got them unless they're set up for floats?

That plane spent all but the last 15 or 20 years in Alaska, and since then it has continued to be operated off rougher runways (it has seen very little pavement). I may not know any better, but it doesn't seem to have been affected by the lack of the brace. It is a higher time airframe as well.

I am not familiar enough with the 180/185 to know if the planes without the float kits got the brace or not. All the planes I've been around were either on floats or set up for them and all had the brace.

Ahh, I guess you'd be fine, nothing says you need the v brace, but if you're really rocking and rolling in the backcountry why wouldn't you put one in?

I mean landing on ruff ground is going to be harder on the plane than landing floats on a smooth lake.

Visibility is my main concern, also why I'd like a 1-piece windshield.

I haven't ever found tubing or a two piece windshield to be that much of a restriction on visibility. But if I needed to replace a windshield it would be one piece, just for appearance reasons.

Visibility is my main concern, also why I'd like a 1-piece windshield.

Visibility isn't really noticeable after you fly a little, also you can v brace a one piece, that's how mine is and that's how the other cessnas I've flown were.

The vee brace makes a great oh **** handle. I'd add one to any plane I owned but I've never owned a Cessna that didn't come with a float kit installed. It definitely reinforces the cabin area. How can that be bad?

In a Skywagon all windshields are one piece. Stock ones have a brace strap installed in the center that attaches to the cabin roof to keep the windshield from being sucked out. The STC to remove it adds a glued doubler along the top edge of the windshield and a break shape piece of metal to capture the doubler is riveted on the upper inside edge. Since the center brace is through-bolted the only way to convert to "one piece" is to replace the windshield.

I always that that brace was for resting my hand while in cruise....

Back