Cessna to build planes in China

Like I said in another thread... there will probably be consumer recalls for excessive lead in the paint. And, it wouldn't be an issue if you guys didn't chew on your airplanes. :)

. . . a move intended to cut production costs and foster a nascent private-aviation market in China"
What about fostering our nascent LSA market?

Interesting point, though. Someone recently mentioned that Asia is the place to go if you want to be an airline pilot, because they can't get enough of them. If there's really a market, then they could start training their own in Cessnas.

On the other hand, for a nation whose workforce allegedly makes low enough wages to give us cheap merchandise, how can they afford airplanes?

What about fostering our nascent LSA market?

Interesting point, though. Someone recently mentioned that Asia is the place to go if you want to be an airline pilot, because they can't get enough of them. If there's really a market, then they could start training their own in Cessnas.

On the other hand, for a nation whose workforce allegedly makes low enough wages to give us cheap merchandise, how can they afford airplanes?
There is absolutely no GA in China. IT is all military or commercial. The surrounding countries have GA but not like we do and not even close to Europe. Moving manufacturing there would have to save a lot of money as most everything will be sold elsewhere.

There is absolutely no GA in China. IT is all military or commercial. The surrounding countries have GA but not like we do and not even close to Europe. Moving manufacturing there would have to save a lot of money as most everything will be sold elsewhere.

Scott,

Not true. GA is allowable by government waiver - I'll dig up the article on the Chinese exec ("owns" one of the privitised ex-state owned firms) who flies his own Bell 414 and Citation...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Scott,

Not true. GA is allowable by government waiver - I'll dig up the article on the Chinese exec ("owns" one of the privitised ex-state owned firms) who flies his own Bell 414 and Citation...

Cheers,

-Andrew

What the Chinese call GA and what we know and think GA to be are two different thing altogether. The Chinese government is using the term GA but what they really mean is business aviation. You have to have a government permission for the type of mission to be flown e.g. crop dusting, charter, cloud seeding, photography, etc. and entertainment and enjoyment are not ones they are approving. Hence why I said they have commercial aviation. To get permission to fly a particular flight can take a half day. You cannot just get in and go. But the biggest area that China hopes for GA is pilot training for the commercial airlines.

Coming soon to your local Wal-Mart...

IMHO they are just doing it for cheap labor. Probably cheaper to build them in china and ship them back to the US than build them here. Very sad. I cannot forsee the Chineese gov't letting citizens the freedom of flying all over the country. Perhaps the privledged few but not the averge guy.

Take this for what it's worth...

I have never seen anything made in China that was worth a flip, appliances to clothes. I am very educated regarding the vehicles Cherry is going to be importing to the U.S. via Chrysler (unless things change). The cars make a Yugo look like high quality machines.

Think I'll pass on the plane.

Take this for what it's worth...

I have never seen anything made in China that was worth a flip, appliances to clothes. I am very educated regarding the vehicles Cherry is going to be importing to the U.S. via Chrysler (unless things change). The cars make a Yugo look like high quality machines.

Think I'll pass on the plane.
I suppose Nissan could get back into aircraft manufacturing? :)

Back