Cessna Skymaster Crash KSBP

wildwobby

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
wildwobby
KSBP Cessna Skymaster Crash; hits FedEx truck and building

Apparently 1 Fatality (Pilot on board). It has been reported that the aircraft just departed and reported troubles. The FedEx guy was luckily delivering a package.

VLBYX.AuSt.76.jpeg

http://www.ksby.com/full-coverage/plane-crash-in-san-luis-obispo/

Last edited:
Another GA accident, man what's going on.

It is not a rough year, it is not unusual, at all. Look up NTSB accidents for this time last year.

Rough year so far for GA.

GA always has hundreds of fatal accidents per year in the US. The NTSB database doesn't show an unusually large number of fatal GA accidents so far this year.

Lots of rusty pilots and seldom flown airplanes come out in June. Combined this with expensive avgas and possibly sketchy maintenance. A bad combo all around.

It is not a rough year, it is not unusual, at all. Look up NTSB accidents for this time last year.

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing. On average, at least one person a day dies flying GA. When people die in airplanes, this is what it looks like. Car crashes are often tame in comparison, which by the way, is why the news media love plane crashes so much. They brighten up an otherwise dull news day and generate hits and viewers.

Moral of the story: flying GA airplanes is more dangerous than driving your car. Be careful people. Question all your decisions when flying. Sometimes even small decisions can be very, very wrong.

Oh yeah, once again we see that the Cessna 337 fails to live up to it's designers and engineers hopes and dreams. I am jumping the gun a bit, but I'm going to assume engine trouble. It could also be pilot error as the type has a history of people mistakenly trying to take off with only one engine running.

It's a tragedy that people often cite center line thrust as a failure based on the experience of one type. This plane as produced by the factory, never had enough HP on either end to compensate for all the drag IMO. 337s that have been modded with bigger engines work wonderfully by all accounts.

I wish that this type of aircraft had been pursued further, but given that Burt Rutan is wisely litigation shy and as Adams found out, the market has nearly put the last nails in the coffin of the piston twin, we may never get to see a concept that is sound in principle, actually make a difference in saving lives.

The crash numbers can quickly get crezzy. A few years ago we lost 4 Skywagons and 11 lives during a two-week period in July, don't remember another fatal for the year.

Trying to see where the plane went down in relation to the airport. I fly there several times a year.

You're right.
Remember, I'm a noob. (started training last July, didn't get serious till December of last year) I think my statement probably springs from the fact that I'm paying closer attention this year than last.

I will say it does seem like the last couple months there have been more of the kind of accidents the media eat up and breathlessly report, but I'm clearly speaking beyond my knowledge area.

This plane lived at Camarillo recently. Sad to see one of our local planes in the news. Not sure who was the pilot but may he RIP.

Are the skymasters rare? I've never heard of it before this thread.

You're right.
Remember, I'm a noob. (started training last July, didn't get serious till December of last year) I think my statement probably springs from the fact that I'm paying closer attention this year than last.

I will say it does seem like the last couple months there have been more of the kind of accidents the media eat up and breathlessly report, but I'm clearly speaking beyond my knowledge area.

You'll see recreational flying accidents increase in number each year and make the news, as the spring and summer weather moves in and such flights increase in number.

Our club does 80% of its annual rental flights between May and September.

Summer brings high density altitudes and engine overheating. This is why i'm moving to Alaska asap.

Yeah, well in winter we get all the guys flying into mountains and icing up and plummeting like hail stones. In the fall it's guys taking on thunder storms. In the spring it's guys deciding to knock the rust off from winter and get back into it by doing some low level aerobatics, or flying up a narrow canyon.

No need to move. They die year round... in Alaska too.

Are the skymasters rare? I've never heard of it before this thread.

Not particularly. I see them in California pretty frequently. There's actually a fixed gear version, the 336, based at my home field. I kind of like them in an odd ball, eclectic kind of way. Wouldn't mind having one with big bore engines on each end so that it performed like it was supposed to. That and the best ANR headsets money can buy!:eek:

RIP

Man that plane is GONE, that's got to be the worst place to put her down one could think of, wonder what happened.

Also that wasnt just a skymaster, that was a pressurized turbo skymaster, that was a heck of a bird.

Moral of the story: flying GA airplanes is more dangerous than driving your car. Be careful people. Question all your decisions when flying. Sometimes even small decisions can be very, very wrong.

BS
Maybe when you fly....

I've come closer to being killed by the knuckle dragging morons on the freeways in any given 6 month period, then in my entire career flying.

There is a reason the news reports all the plane crashes but not all the fatalities from car crashes or heart attacks in fat people.

If you're new to flying airplanes or riding motorcycles, don't read the publications or forums, and for damn sure don't let your wife see them.

You're right.

Oh yeah, once again we see that the Cessna 337 fails to live up to it's designers and engineers hopes and dreams. I am jumping the gun a bit, but I'm going to assume engine trouble. It could also be pilot error as the type has a history of people mistakenly trying to take off with only one engine running.

It's a tragedy that people often cite center line thrust as a failure based on the experience of one type. This plane as produced by the factory, never had enough HP on either end to compensate for all the drag IMO. 337s that have been modded with bigger engines work wonderfully by all accounts.

I wish that this type of aircraft had been pursued further, but given that Burt Rutan is wisely litigation shy and as Adams found out, the market has nearly put the last nails in the coffin of the piston twin, we may never get to see a concept that is sound in principle, actually make a difference in saving lives.

Careful - not all 337s are created equal (see below)

RIP

Man that plane is GONE, that's got to be the worst place to put her down one could think of, wonder what happened.

Also that wasnt just a skymaster, that was a pressurized turbo skymaster, that was a heck of a bird.

Single Engine performance on that should have been sufficient
Ref for below: http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=2190

captbilly said:
Single engine performance: Believe it or not the single engine climb rate and ceiling on the P337 is better than any unmodified piston twin. Some of the Riley and RAM (father and son by the way) Cessnas will climb as well as P skymaster on one engine, but even they will do it with quite a bit of drama and at a higher airspeed and lower climb angle than the P skymaster. The Riley Super Skyrocket P337 with 310hp engines will outperform anything but a turbine powered twin on one engine (especially when considering climb angle). I only had one occasion to actually fly on a single engine, although I practiced it many times. Once I had one of the metal fuel injection lines on the rear engine crack completely in two. The only indication I had of a problem was a sudden large increase in fuel flow. I was so unconcerned about flying on one engine that I elected to shut down the rear engine even though I really didn't know if there was anything seriously wrong (might have just been the guage or line to the gauge). I flew 20 minutes back to my home field with no drama whatever. When I oppened the cowling I saw that fuel had been pouring out all over the tops of the cylinders at high pressure though a completely severed solid steel fuel line. I have no idea how it broke, probably a manufacturing flaw, but it could have been a disaster if I hadn't shut it down.

If you're new to flying airplanes or riding motorcycles, don't read the publications or forums, and for damn sure don't let your wife see them.

Yeah, seriously...
Luckily my soon-to-be wife can get past the gory splashy headlines.

She likes the idea of me flying and will be my first passenger when I get my ticket. She's never been in a light plane before so I'll make sure to take her on a nice morning and break her in gently.

Yeah, seriously...
Luckily my soon-to-be wife can get past the gory splashy headlines.

Good for her. Our ever-present, always-on, always-available internet often makes it seem like planes are raining from the skies.

...and schools are getting shot up everywhere...

...and crime is rampant...

Etc. Too many people are unable to comprehend the size of our planet, and the number of humans on it. Because of this ignorance, they personalize the worldwide news in a way that makes them fearful.

It's why whenever the word "hurricane" is used on CNN, our hotel's phone stops ringing. The hurricane can be 1000 miles East, but people can't comprehend such big numbers and assume that the entire Gulf is being ravaged.

Same with plane wrecks.

Well the plane was not the one from Camarillo, still feel bad for the family.

GA always has hundreds of fatal accidents per year in the US. The NTSB database doesn't show an unusually large number of fatal GA accidents so far this year.

Huh, guess it just seems to be making more headlines I suppose.

Back