Cessna OAT probe location?

mss

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mss
I am in the process of installing a set of AV-30Cs and an OAT probe. I will also be installing an EI MVP-50P engine monitor later this summer. It will also have its own OAT. So I need to find a location for two OAT probes on my ‘79 180K.
Where should I consider installing two OAT probes?
MSS

Av shops find the center of an inboard wing inspection cover a popular location for new OAT probes.

There are other spots but:
  • This one is easy to get to and access
  • Clear air for measurement
  • Importantly the inspection port cover can be replaced inexpensively should the probe required permenant removal or replacement
The small gauge OAT twisted pair wire fits inside or along side the wire loom from under the panel up the door/window post to thewing root, to the inspection cover.

Last edited:
Where should I consider installing two OAT probes?
Most references state do not install the probes downstream from any exhaust or cowl flap outflow or near any "hot" components where radiant heat may affect the readings. Any other location is usually acceptable. Davtron recommends the wing location as mentioned above. I'm also a big fan of installing the probes in an access panel or fairing whenever possible. One side note, some equipment can share the same OAT probe but I do not know if that will work in your installation.

It's a bummer that you need 2 of them.
This is where my shop suggested on mine. They said they could get a drill in there, won't hit your head on it there and won't be handled during annual inspections. And the canbus wiring is there too going out to the magnetometer.
I know yours is not garmin.
IMG_7372.jpg

GAD13
IMG_73671.jpg

Last edited:
Back