Cessna in the Biz News

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
September 2, 2005
Cessna hits single-engine milestone

Jerry Siebenmark [font=Times New Roman,Times,Serif]Cessna Aircraft Co. said Friday it had delivered its 6,000th single-engine airplane since opening its Independence, Kan., plant nine years ago.

Officials from Wichita-based Cessna say the delivery, a Cessna 172S Skyhawk, went to Dana Atkinson, president of Anson Air, in Sugar Land, Texas.

Anson Air is a Cessna Pilot Center and has a fleet of 11 airplanes, including a Cessna 182T Skylane the pilot school purchased in December.

In 1986, Cessna discontinued single-engine production in Wichita. After the passage of the U.S. General Aviation Revitalization Act in 1994, which limits liability lawsuits to aircraft less than 18 years old, Cessna decided to restart production of single-engine aircraft. Production resumed in Independence on July 10, 1996.

Cessna is a subsidiary of Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT).

[/font]

© 2005 American City Business Journals Inc.

Len Lanetti said:
Cessna Aircraft Co.[/color][/url] said Friday it had delivered its 6,000th single-engine airplane since opening its Independence, Kan., plant nine years ago.

In Comparison that 6k figure is smaller that the total production of the C-150.

We won't even compare it with the 152/172/182/180/185/210. and on and on.

NC19143 said:
In Comparison that 6k figure is smaller that the total production of the C-150.

We won't even compare it with the 152/172/182/180/185/210. and on and on.

Tom,

True but I have to think that 660 to 670 aircraft a year is very signficant at this point in time. I'd bet it is close to being more than all other single engine aircraft manufactures combined.

I know Mooney is making less than 100 per year. In the early 90's only about 100 or so Tiger's were made per year for two years and I don't think they are making more than 100 per year now. Commander is gone. Lake is all but gone. Maule is probably making less than 50 or so a year. Piper might be making over 100 a year but I think they were shut down for awhile.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
I know Mooney is making less than 100 per year. In the early 90's only about 100 or so Tiger's were made per year for two years and I don't think they are making more than 100 per year now. Commander is gone. Lake is all but gone. Maule is probably making less than 50 or so a year. Piper might be making over 100 a year but I think they were shut down for awhile.
Lake is gone. Rivard was tried to sell the type certificate in an auction at AirVenture this year but had no takers.

Piston airplane deliveries in 2004:

American Champion - 94
Aviat - 42
Cessna - 654
Cirrus - 553
Diamond - 261
Lancair - 78
Maule - 27
Mooney - 37
Beech - 93
Socata - 5 (plus 31 TBM 700s)
Piper - 163 (plus 26 Meridians)
Tiger - 19

Ken,

Thanks.

Cirrus is really kicking butt.

It looks like Diamond is pulling in a bunch too. That has to be putting a hurting on both Tiger and Mooney.

Only gonna be a matter of time before Tiger production is halted again. No way they can sustain for long on 19 units per year. Ron, when you going to put in that order for a big training fleet.

Len

If i recall, there was a recent article about a recall of some newer cessnas that had been rigged improperly. upon inspection, they found missing vital controll parts. 600 plus a year is pretty impressive, but at what cost? quality.

Back