Cessna hacks

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
gearleg.png
C140A parts manual, fig 28-14, p/n 0441119, "hose-brake line protector" does not specify the size. It is 1/2" OD 1/4" ID x 1/2" long.

Also, after a couple of years, my fuel vent wore a hole in my cover. I duct taped a patch on the inside of the hole, then cut a 3/8" hole in a ping pong ball and put it over the vent before covering the airplane to eliminate the stress riser.

I usually see a 1/4" hose over those.

I usually see a 1/4" hose over those.
That works. If the typical MIL-6000 or MIL-5593 hose has too big an OD, I'd use a bit of vacuum or windshield washer hose from the auto parts shop. It has a thinner wall.

Also, after a couple of years, my fuel vent wore a hole in my cover. I duct taped a patch on the inside of the hole, then cut a 3/8" hole in a ping pong ball and put it over the vent before covering the airplane to eliminate the stress riser.
The ping pong ball must have worked itself loose under the cover, as it was gone yesterday. Maybe a racquetball or tennis ball...

The 210 has some brake line clips glued to the strut with similar function, I cut a couple pieces of Aeroquip 306 hose and stuck them on the line... It's what I had laying around.

Turns out the same hose I used for the bumper makes a good field expedient pitot cover.
IMG_7009.jpg

Why would one need to manually cover the pitot when Cessna has provided an automatic metal one?

Why would one need to manually cover the pitot when Cessna has provided an automatic metal one?
Funny you should ask. Had it freeze on me a few months ago, then noticed it being wonky again last weekend. Finally had the shop blow it out...
IMG_7006.jpg

And I thought “Cessna Hacks” was going to be about hacking the wings off and reattaching them to the bottom like God intended....

:devil:

(Ducking and covering)

And I thought “Cessna Hacks” was going to be about hacking the wings off and reattaching them to the bottom like God intended....

:devil:

(Ducking and covering)
More like us pilots on the left side of the bell curve...

I don't ever remember seeing that part in any Cessna parts catalog. They were an aftermarket thing, and here in Canada the feds would get all excited when they saw one. Not approved, they'd say. Take it off or get fined.

Since Cessna Pitot Tubes were brought up…….

The Pitot Tube is rarely removed from its mount so it can be difficult to do so when the need arises. Bug?

In addition some screws are a rather odd variety like a 5-36 . It’s not a bad idea to assure screws can be removed at a convenient time . Annual?

Anti seize could help with FUTURE removals if applied earlier too.

In addition some screws are a rather odd variety like a 5-36 . It’s not a bad idea to assure screws can be removed at a convenient time . Annual?
#4-40, IIRC. Not many shops keep that one in stock. It's really short, too.

Close.

Research shows Macfarlane and other sources seem to say it’s “ extra fine 6-40”.

Plan on not in stock,.

Back