Cessna Fuel Transmitter

etemplet

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
etemplet
This is a picture of the fuel sending unit gasket on my 150 as removed today. For whatever reason this strap, that connects to the top of the fuel sending unit housing to the fuel tank, was installed there are better methods to achieve this. Is that something someone added or is it Cessna. Either way.... I am replacing the gasket and I don't like this. Anyone have experience with this?

The strap us under the ground connection from the wing rib. What can I say, I am a neat kinda guy. LOL

Attachments

• 5977J Fuel Sender Gskt.jpg
    5977J Fuel Sender Gskt.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 5977J Fuel Tank Complete - rt.jpg
    5977J Fuel Tank Complete - rt.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 5977J Fuel Sender Tank.jpg
    5977J Fuel Sender Tank.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 52
Well.... looks like I have moved to the next level to some degree. I am really learning about my airplane.

This is a grounding strap, to insure the sender is electrically the same as the tank/aircraft. Its continuity is a factor in the accuracy of the gauge. I usually replace it with one soldered to the tank.

Tom I tried to PM you but was unable. I'd like to discuss the soldering as I was thinking along those same lines. Cessna certainly picked a strange way to insure continuity. Under a gasket only invites leakage.

A couple of thoughts ...

1. I have NEVER had luck soldering to aluminum. Whether or not I sand it down to shiny, use the "special" flux, the "special" aluminum rod, or any other combination, proprietary or not. It looks soldered and stays for a while, but a few months later I look and it has popped itself loose. It may be a problem with different alloys, a tougher than usual aluminum oxide layer, or whatever.

2. I would think that soldering to a fuel tank would present a subset of problems that you get welding to a fuel tank. Hot metal around cold gasoline/fumes. I can weld to a few alloys and that is how I attach if I can't use a mechanical fastener.

Me? I find a place I can drill a hole, aluminum screw, aluminum nut, aluminum (picture hanging) wire and I'm in business without too much worry about corrosion and such.

Jim

Jim I was thinking along those lines of an attachment point VIA a clamp or screw. I was looking at ways to COLD SOLDER aluminum with a product that is conductive. For instance, a conductive epoxy. I even thought about shaving aluminum into an epoxy and mixing it in to make it conductive. LOL

I trimmed the strap a bit, made it more narrow and shorter to facilitate sealing of the gasket surface. I am going to do some checks on Monday. It there are not leaks at present, I'll leave it as is.

Thanks so much for the input !!!

The rod is called (u-Tic-tic) it is a solder for aluminum it is applied with a hot air gun. no flame, no welding, simply heat the area with a hot air gun until the rod melts, and treat like any old solder joint.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-weld-aluminum/

use a heat gun on fuel tanks.

Last edited:
Back