Cessna Flight Training or Jeppesen

NEHAL MEHTA

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
nehsmit
Hi all,

I am new to this site and to aviation. I am in my late 40s with a full time job now looking to start learning how to fly. I live in NJ and am lucky enough to have a few local airports. I have checked out both and aside from general feel of the people, planes, schedules, etc. I am trying to figure out the Cessna Flight training option or Jeppesen. The CFT school is touting the capability of having everything online and ease of use vs the other school who touts old school learning.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

I am new to this site and to aviation. I am in my late 40s with a full time job now looking to start learning how to fly. I live in NJ and am lucky enough to have a few local airports. I have checked out both and aside from general feel of the people, planes, schedules, etc. I am trying to figure out the Cessna Flight training option or Jeppesen. The CFT school is touting the capability of having everything online and ease of use vs the other school who touts old school learning.

Not sure if Cessna is still using the king schools, but these guys are the gold standard and also work online on iPads and about everything else. I've used the King series with great success as a CFI for my students, and throughout my own training as well.

http://www.kingschools.com/Search.asp?code=private-pilot

Make sure you go to some uncontrolled fields too, I find folks from NYC and NJ are often shocked at the freedom aviation can bring.

Good luck and blue skies!

Hi all,

They are not the only game in town. Go to www.asa2fly.com and check out what they have to offer.

Bob Gardner

Both options take you from A to Z. It’s all the same material.

Both options take you from A to Z. It’s all the same material.
What Ryan said. Information and concepts are essentially the same.

What makes each ground school package unique is the method of explaining it, and sometimes the sequence presented.

Each one gets it done. It just comes down to the "flavor" of the information presentation.

@NEHAL MEHTA ... also, your flight instructor might have a small say in which system. This is because he uses that particular system to teach out of, making it easier for you of you to remain in synch as lessons progress. You could use a different system, but then it's on you to figure out which chapters and sections of your choice of ground school fits up with the homework he assigned.

Looking back at what I spent on Jeppesen and the contents, I'd suggest just using the free pubs from the FAA. If ya like paper like I do then ASA publishes the FAA material and they are cheap. I have no experience with the Cessna stuff so can't comment on that.

Hi all,

If you're close to Essex Co airport, I'd suggest giving Tom Fischer of Fischer Aviation a call.

There no magic in Jeppesen texts and as mentioned the FAA books are downloadable for free. I encourage you to complete a quality classroom course vs online. You will walk away with a better understanding of the material.

Hi all,

I used the King/Cessna kit "Cessna Sport / Private Pilot Kit - Online" for $325 on sale. It was a great resource. When I completed the course, I studied using all the free online resources, found a flight school and passed the written. I think the flight school would rather that I had taken their ground school although they did not say that. This worked great for me but don't know if it would work for everyone.

I used the King/Cessna kit "Cessna Sport / Private Pilot Kit - Online" for $325 on sale. It was a great resource. When I completed the course, I studied using all the free online resources, found a flight school and passed the written. I think the flight school would rather that I had taken their ground school although they did not say that. This worked great for me but don't know if it would work for everyone.
But when did you do your actual in flight training?

But when did you do your actual in flight training?
I started flying after I got all prepared for the written test. Within a week or so of beginning to fly my CFI signed off for my written and I promptly took the test.

Back