Cessna Flap Motor question

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
I went out for a little practice in the pattern tonight and got a surprise.

This is on a C-172 "L" model with 40 degree flaps.

On the second pattern, I went to set the flaps at 10 degrees. My flap system requires you to hold down the switch for about 4 seconds or so then release. Look at the indicator and it's right at 10 indicated. Now, I have a few hundred landings in this plane and I usually first watch the flaps start out before I look back at the indicator. Only this time the flaps didn't move. I remember two or three years ago, I had the circuit breaker trip once while doing this and I just reset it, and all was well.

Tonight I decided to just make a no-flap landing instead, and all went well. On the ground I looked and sure enough, the breaker was sticking out, and I reset it. The switch was in the neutral, or middle position, and after 10 seconds or so, I noticed the ammeter take a very short, sharp negative excursion and the breaker trips again.
So, I taxi back to my spot, shut the avionics master off, shut down the big fan out front, and before turning off the master, I just reset the breaker. 5 or 10 seconds later it just trips again. I shut off the master, and tied it down and went home. A call to the mechanic, and he says he's pretty sure the flap motor has gone and died on me. I wonder though, if the motor has power to it all the time, and what you are doing is switching the ground back and forth to reverse the motor. Otherwise how come it trips the breaker when the switch in in the center position. Anyway the A/P was at home when I called his cell, and he did not have the books in front of him at the time.
Anybody here have any experience or wisdom they'd like to share on this?
:dunno:
Thanks

There are limit switches on the handle and on the flap cables, I believe. Check both.

The "L" has the spring-loaded switch, as opposed to the later 172s which have flap switch you position and the flaps move until a limit switch "makes."

Most likely, you have a busted switch, allowing a short to trip the CB.

Anybody here have any experience or wisdom they'd like to share on this?

Did you try raising it so the indicator matched the actual flap position? Note that I'm clueless, but I'm wondering if the reason the breaker didn't keep popping is that maybe the system was still trying to extend the flaps to the desired position and was unable. Could be a bad switch, a bad motor, or maybe something got jammed in the flap tracks and was preventing the motor from completing its mission, but it was trying hard enough to draw significant current and pop the breaker.

Let us know what you find out, it'd be interesting to learn more about how the flaps work on the middle 172 models.

Back