Cessna Crash on Shelter Island, NY

Stall in the pattern sounds like? Must be at an airport since the person heard a plane taxi by then this.

Double ouch. Looks like a skycatcher, possibly a student?

Last edited:
What's a skycatcher?

Sounds to me like an uncoordinated stall taking off or landing and not too high up since pilot survived. I'm sure the pilot will be interviewed eventually and we will know for sure.

I hope the pilot has a speedy recovery.

What's a skycatcher?

Sounds to me like an uncoordinated stall taking off or landing and not too high up since pilot survived. I'm sure the pilot will be interviewed eventually and we will know for sure.

I hope the pilot has a speedy recovery.

Cessna 162, your scenario has definite potential.

Glad they survived the crash,the airplane wasn't so lucky,another sky catcher off the FAAS roles.

Article has been updated. Pilot: Michael J. Russo, 80, of Shelter Island.

Jumping to conclusions Tim.
I'm nearly that age and I still consider myself a student of the art of flight :D

It's a private, 1400' grass strip used by prior permission only. I've been in there in a Bonanza once.

Reported in today's local paper that Mr. Russo said from his hospital bed that he failed to remove gust locks.

Okay, guys, in THIS CASE you can go ahead and speculate that it was pilot error before the report is released. ;)

:goofy:

The article states Mr.Russo is an experienced pilot with thousands of hours flying jets, helicopters as well as light planes.highlighted in the article is a quote by fellow shelter island pilot "If you fly long enough, you're going to make every mistake in the book.'

Back