Cessna Cockpit Light

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
One of these bulbs is burned out. How do I get access do it? Do I just pull down on the cover and it pops off?

Capture.JPG

Got a crowbar??

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D
All seriousness aside, I too am curious whether you can just pop the cover. Just yank on it. If it breaks, you got a glue gun, no? (of course AFTER you replace and test the new bulb)
What model and year is it? The MM should have instructions.

16-78. MAP LIGHTING

16-80. REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

a. For replacement of defective lamp slide the hood and lens from the map light assembly and remove the bayonet type bulb.

In your illustration, item 29 is the hood, and item 30 is the lens.

Last edited:
pull on part 29 while holding part 21 well .napa has both of those bulbs {same } you must borrow a bottle if your wife's red nailpolish to do the red one

Thanks all! I was looking at it the other day and had no clue how to get to the bulbs. But it appears to be easy enough. I've got some LED replacements (White and Red) on the way.

Thanks all! I was looking at it the other day and had no clue how to get to the bulbs. But it appears to be easy enough. I've got some LED replacements (White and Red) on the way.
I’m curious, where were you able to get LED replacements for these bulbs?

are those led dimmable I think not. both of those bulbs are on a rheostat to dim/brighten as needed as needed as it should be. go to napa

are those led dimmable I think not. both of those bulbs are on a rheostat to dim/brighten as needed as needed as it should be. go to napa
No they arent. It's an on/off switch, one for red, one for white. No Rheostat involved. This is true for the dome light, but this is not connected to the dome light.

2 skies yes your Cessna has a round black knob with a silver center knob on the bottom of your panel it is a double rheostat pull out your poh or parts manual.with your level of knowledge you should not be retrofitting electrical parts in a aircraft.

with your level of knowledge you should not be retrofitting electrical parts in a aircraft.
I guarantee that I do not have that rheostat on my panel. I have flown plenty of planes that has it but mine does not. Please inform me EXACTLY what "level of knowledge" you think I have or may be lacking. An LED bulb is NOT "retrofitting electrical parts".

Even if I DID have the rheostat I'm completely fine having a non-dimmable light. It's my plane and my preference.

Last edited:
fisdo wtf just trying to help .never have I seen a sidepost lite like that on a Cessna without a rheostat what is the make and model would love to learn something new .

fisdo wtf just trying to help .never have I seen a sidepost lite like that on a Cessna without a rheostat what is the make and model would love to learn something new .
Did you just ask what the make was for a Cessna?

1970 Cessna 180
Capture.JPG
MVIMG_20180331_090721.jpg
The knobs on the right that vaguely look like the rheostat are the Co-pilot rudder pedals stowing, cabin air and cabin heat. The knob hidden by throttle is Taxi/landing, to the left is nav.

yes I did, I assumed it is a Cessna .don't assume anything .including a installed rheostat

were did it go ? I had one .I owned a 180

Thanks for the link!
Tell us how the lights worked once you get them installed.
Hey Larry,
I installed and went for a night flight yesterday. I found that this bulb in red:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...-bulb-5-smd-led-tower-ba9s-retrofit-car/2077/
Combined with this bulb in white:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...andscape-light-bulb-4-led-ba9s-retrofit/2538/
Made for the best combination in the map light. If you do the opposite, you end up with too dim of a red and too bright of a white. Very happy I went LED because replacing those bulbs was NOT fun. Not sure if it was just my sockets that were a bit messed up but it seemed pretty tough to get them in just right. Anyway, now they'll never burn out and I'm quite pleased with the result.

2 skies yes your Cessna has a round black knob with a silver center knob on the bottom of your panel it is a double rheostat pull out your poh or parts manual.with your level of knowledge you should not be retrofitting electrical parts in a aircraft.

With your level of knowledge you should not be passing judgment on what is a perfectly reasonable technical thread.

Jim

Hey Larry,
I installed and went for a night flight yesterday. I found that this bulb in red:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...-bulb-5-smd-led-tower-ba9s-retrofit-car/2077/
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...andscape-light-bulb-4-led-ba9s-retrofit/2538/
Made for the best combination in the map light. If you do the opposite, you end up with too dim of a red and too bright of a white. Very happy I went LED because replacing those bulbs was NOT fun. Not sure if it was just my sockets that were a bit messed up but it seemed pretty tough to get them in just right. Anyway, now they'll never burn out and I'm quite pleased with the result.

Thanks for the feedback!
Larry

Hey Larry,
Did they effect your coms? Some LEDs create radio interference due to the way they are built.

Did they effect your coms? Some LEDs create radio interference due to the way they are built.
I know exactly what you're talking about, and have experienced landing lights that have done this, but no these did not have any effect.

Make sure you open squelch on all radios (com and nav) and then flip the thing on and off and listen for a change in static level. I doubt they’ll be problematic but check. Battery only, engine off.

Test a few spots in the receive range of each but usually if a diode is making a crap ton of RF noise it’s everpresent and broadbanded.

That's just NOT true. The driver may be making some noise but the diode itself is incapable of generating noise. If the driver is a simple resistor, then the combination cannot be generating noise.

Jim

Make sure you open squelch on all radios (com and nav) and then flip the thing on and off and listen for a change in static level. I doubt they’ll be problematic but check. Battery only, engine off.

Test a few spots in the receive range of each but usually if a diode is making a crap ton of RF noise it’s everpresent and broadbanded.
At the plane right now. Did exactly this. No issues with anything except my goodiesforpilot landing/taxi light, but it was very minor at that. Tested each set of LED lights individually.

At the plane right now. Did exactly this. No issues with anything except my goodiesforpilot landing/taxi light, but it was very minor at that. Tested each set of LED lights individually.

Cool. Yup. I’d always test.

A little RF interference means a lot when the signal you want to hear is weak. A lot of RF interference on board will wipe out stuff that shouldn’t be weak at all... you know, like glideslopes and localizers and controllers talking to you... :)

Interesting thread. I have a map light under the yoke in my Centurion that does not work. Maybe I will have to figure out how to pull the bulb in it? Anyone have any experience with one of them?

Interesting thread. I have a map light under the yoke in my Centurion that does not work. Maybe I will have to figure out how to pull the bulb in it? Anyone have any experience with one of them?

I think there was a thread on how to get at those in the 182 recently. Should be similar in the 210.

I removed mine, but here's what it looked like. To me, it seems like the bulbs were soldered into the board. :dunno:
IMG_20180407_150520_01.jpg

Last edited:
No they arent. It's an on/off switch, one for red, one for white. No Rheostat involved. This is true for the dome light, but this is not connected to the dome light.

Do you have the two dimmers in the overhead console? All the Cessnas I've met have that post light dimmable by the instrument dimming system.The dimmer feeds the two-way switch.

More common problems with those postlights: The sockets are held to a bracket by rivets through insulators, and the bulb is fed through the rivet and the socket, the socket being grounded. The insulator shrinks with age and vibration, the rivet comes loose, the socket wiggles around, oxidation sets in and the the light gets intermittent or altogether dead. A pain to fix, and a new assembly is VERY expensive. You can buy PMA'd LED assemblies to replace that setup. Dimmable, too.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/led_maplight2.php?recfer=40459257

Back