Cessna Citation Musting 0001 Flies

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
First Citation Mustang flies ahead of schedule

Ken Vandruff [font=Times New Roman,Times,Serif]Cessna Aircraft Co. says its first production Citation Mustang business jet took its maiden flight Monday, one month ahead of schedule.

Serial number 0001 spent two hours in the air performing basic systems and avionics checks and evaluating engine performance.

The Mustang is Cessna's entry into the "Very-light" jet market. It is scheduled for certification during the fourth quarter of 2006.

"Having the first Mustang production unit enter the program early will certainly enhance our progress toward achieving that goal," says Russ Meyer III, program manager.

Three Mustang production airplanes will be used in the certification process. The prototype Mustang took its first flight April 23 and has logged more than 230 flight hours.

The final assembly line for the Mustang will be located at Cessna's plant in Independence, Kan.

Cessna is a subsidiary of Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT).

[/font]

© 2005 American City Business Journals Inc.

I was struck when I saw the Mustang prototype at OSH how relatively large it is. The Honda as well. The Eclipse is like a Baron, the Mustang is, well, a Citation.

Ken,

Was the Grob jet at Oshkosh?

From what I've reat that was certainly an industry surprise!

Len

Back