Cessna Cardinal 177 RG - Hand Brake / Engine Alt Air

CACTUS24

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CACTUS24
Hi, I am looking at a 1975 177 RG for sale. I have always flown Pipers, how does the parking brake work and lock, does it pull in/out, what locks it on. Does the 177 RG have an engine alternate air source. Did not see these things in the Flight Manual.

Alt air in the 76 manual says automatic if the filter plugs the engine will 'suck' the door open. And IIRC the parking brake is a pull and turn style.

The parking brake pulls out and twists to lock. It's just under the yoke on the pilot's side. The alternate air door at the back of the air box behind the spinner.

If you're looking I highly recommend www.cardinalflyers.com for pre-purchase checklists and a very active type club.

Out of all the possible question, those were not the two I'd suspect one would ask.

Parking brake is just like on an old Dodge Dart.

The parking brake pulls out and twists to lock. It's just under the yoke on the pilot's side. The alternate air door at the back of the air box behind the spinner.

If you're looking I highly recommend www.cardinalflyers.com for pre-purchase checklists and a very active type club.

Ditto. You can get a lot of info without buying a subscription but it's worth it. Lots more info with it. Get a pre buy from someone who knows Cardinals. Not just Cessnas.

Alt air in the 76 manual says automatic if the filter plugs the engine will 'suck' the door open. And IIRC the parking brake is a pull and turn style.

Hi, so you pull it out and turn it up or down to lock it... is it up or down...

Ditto. You can get a lot of info without buying a subscription but it's worth it. Lots more info with it. Get a pre buy from someone who knows Cardinals. Not just Cessnas.
Second this recommendation. And make sure to check the spar carrythrough above the headliner, a notorious site for corrosion (ask me how I know :().

Second this recommendation. And make sure to check the spar carrythrough above the headliner, a notorious site for corrosion (ask me how I know :().

Ouch. Did it happen while you owned it or did you find it at the first annual after buying it?

I have 100+ hours in a C177RG. I see that parking brake handle over there on the left but I'm certain I've never touched it.

Must me something wrong with me but I don't ever use parking brakes. Even in cars. Took me a couple minutes to figure out how to release the one in my car after I loaned it to someone. I've since stopped loaning people my car :)

like all cessna pull parling brakes apply full foot pressure on each than back it up with the pull and turn handle

Buy a set of chocks and don't fool with parking brake contraptions that are likely to lock up and leave you stranded somewhere on a wet October evening.

I have 100+ hours in a C177RG. I see that parking brake handle over there on the left but I'm certain I've never touched it.

Must me something wrong with me but I don't ever use parking brakes. Even in cars. Took me a couple minutes to figure out how to release the one in my car after I loaned it to someone. I've since stopped loaning people my car :)

You obviously don't own a manual transmission vehicle or park on any steep inclines.

The alternate air next to the parking brake is for the static system, if it gets blocked or iced up you can pull it had it will supply static air pressure to the altimeter and VSI, not quite as accurate as the normal system, but much better than nothing! :)

Ouch. Did it happen while you owned it or did you find it at the first annual after buying it?
First annual after buying it. The pre-buy mechanic claimed he had checked the carrythrough for corrosion, but admitted it was a quick flashlight check and would not have found the problem, was which away from the inspection hole. Mouse nest in the insulation up there, probably happened when the plane was down for several months (at the seller's field) getting a new engine. Unlikely that it happened during my first year of ownership as there never was any evidence of mice habitation in the hangar I was renting.

I'm currently temporarily medically grounded and had the area above the headliner checked for evidence of mice recently as I know there are mice in the community hangar I'm in now, and the plane hasn't flown in nearly a year. Keeping fingers crossed that they stay away until I can get my medical back. :(

First annual after buying it. The pre-buy mechanic claimed he had checked the carrythrough for corrosion, but admitted it was a quick flashlight check and would not have found the problem, was which away from the inspection hole. Mouse nest in the insulation up there, probably happened when the plane was down for several months (at the seller's field) getting a new engine. Unlikely that it happened during my first year of ownership as there never was any evidence of mice habitation in the hangar I was renting.

I'm currently temporarily medically grounded and had the area above the headliner checked for evidence of mice recently as I know there are mice in the community hangar I'm in now, and the plane hasn't flown in nearly a year. Keeping fingers crossed that they stay away until I can get my medical back. :(

Did you have to find a new spar, or were they able to repair that one? The only cause I've ever heard of before was from the steel coil in vent hoses. I can see yours being missed if the spots where the hose passes through was what was being looked for. Get that medical and get her back in the air. Oh yeah, get some Hangar Cats.

Did you have to find a new spar, or were they able to repair that one? The only cause I've ever heard of before was from the steel coil in vent hoses. I can see yours being missed if the spots where the hose passes through was what was being looked for. Get that medical and get her back in the air. Oh yeah, get some Hangar Cats.
It was too badly corroded. I had to get a new carrythrough, which I bought from a CFO member who happened to have a spare from a salvage yard. My one lucky break in the whole ordeal was that my insurance paid for all the labor involved in the repair, which was considerable (approaching 10 AMU). I had no way to document the purchase of the part to them so I had to pay for that, but the carrythrough itself was a tiny fraction of the total cost.

(Well I guess that wasn't the ONLY lucky break. Before being contacted by the CFO member, I looked into having a carrythrough fabricated and basically struck out. Apparently it can only be gotten via the salvage route, which is very much a "crapshoot", as the saying goes...)

Back