Cessna Caravan sunk - well, that didn't take long

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
So my sometime employer, the fellow with the Beech 18 Part 135 operation acquired an amphib Caravan recently. The purchase was made by a investor who is also a competent pilot. I was told that there was a laundry list of small items to address and that he would probably be calling me in to do some work on the airplane. I was looking forward to working on the Caravan.

IMG_20190410_074107582.jpg

Well, if I do any work on the Caravan now it ain't going to be minor. Seems the owner took some friends down to the Dry Tortugas on the airplane's inaugural flight with him and sunk it on take off. Everyone got out okay. So that's good.

Screenshot_20190425-083145.png

Oops.

Amphib Caravan with a 6 seat interior and room for toys would be on my list of 'if money was no object' list.

Arent the Dry Tortugas a national park (monument) ? They may make him salvage the thing and control the spill $$$$

Last edited:
Yes, salvage crew is on their way. They want it out of the park and obviously they're going to have to do something about containing the spill.

This is at least the second not-adequately-floating Caravan in S. Florida recently. What gives?

Yes, salvage crew is on their way. They want it out of the park and obviously they're going to have to do something about containing the spill.

Glad nobody got seriously hurt. The insurance company is going to love that bill :-( I wonder whether there are limits on spill liability on aircraft policies ?

Amphib Caravan with a 6 seat interior and room for toys would be on my list of 'if money was no object' list.

You and me both! Bummer to hear about this one.

I just clicked because I was sure this was about a border flooding. This is much more sad.

Sucks about the plane glad everyone is ok.
I know little about amphibs, how does one sink one on takeoff, and not get hurt?

Dry Tortugas is the local slang for the Cayman Islands. They have no EPA equivalent and few rules for aviation, either...

I once sat on the beach while a British Harrier flew over supersonic at 75 feet. Lifted the sand six inches off the Earth...

Dry Tortugas is the local slang for the Cayman Islands. They have no EPA equivalent and few rules for aviation, either...

I once sat on the beach while a British Harrier flew over supersonic at 75 feet. Lifted the sand six inches off the Earth...

Supersonic? Not likely. A Citation X is faster than a Harrier.

Bases on the above I think this is in the keys - fort jefferson

It was a nice looking 'Van. But it can be replaced.

Losing a Beaver or Otter, now that would have been a tragedy ;-)

And yes, its just metal. Both Cessna and Wipaire will make you a new one if you write a check.

Found what you are thinking of:

"The Cayman Islands are a British overseas territory located in the Caribbean that have been under various governments since their discovery by Europeans. Christopher Columbus sighted the Cayman Islands on May 10, 1503 and named them Las Tortugas after the numerous sea turtles seen swimming in the surrounding waters. Columbus had found the two smaller sister islands (Cayman Brac and Little Cayman) and it was these two islands that he named "Las Tortugas"."

Sad ,loss of a good airplane, glad everyone got out.

Back