Cessna Bolt Hole Plugs

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
My plane has "push plugs" in various places that allow access to bolts or nuts. They're in the belly, bottom of wing, and floor of the cockpit. A couple are missing, the rest have seen better days.

They look a lot like electrical j-box knockout plugs, but the electrical version isn't the right size:

933004_300.jpg

My Google-fu is failing me and I can'f find the aviation version anywhere.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
BTW Cessna calls them "plug buttons" and the part number is s-48143-k2215 (according to my parts manual) but a search for any combination of that shoots blanks.

Wish I could help.

I can only bet that when you find the STC'd versions they'll probably be $80.00 each....

QUOTE=timwinters;1797866]My plane has "push plugs" in various places that allow access to bolts or nuts. They're in the belly, bottom of wing, and floor of the cockpit. A couple are missing, the rest have seen better days.

They look a lot like electrical j-box knockout plugs, but the electrical version isn't the right size:

Any ideas?[ QUOTE]

The electronic industry calls them "hole plugs" but more commonly "botch buttons". Google Keystone and HH Smith. Both of them are electronic hardware suppliers and both have (or had) botchbuttons.

Jim

well, I just got a hit on Air Power's website. They say that "CM2692-32J1S Replaces SS48143K2215" and have them for $8.49 each.

:goofy:

Any hardware store with a good fastener selection or industrial fastener store like Fastenal will have tons of them in 1/16" increments. You can probably get a pretty good selection at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Any hardware store with a good fastener selection or industrial fastener store like Fastenal

There's an oxymoron if there ever was one. I hate that place (and I'm in construction...or at least was for 30+ years).

Thanks for the heads-up guys but I just ordered a 1/2 dozen from Air Power. They were pretty reasonable (in aviation terms).

I'd say they would've had one that fit considering the ample selection of sizes!

Last edited:
I only have one hole plug in the forward underside of the 180 and it's considerably better quality than the hardware store variety. I hope your choice proves the same.

Cessna Butt Hole Plugs?

Sorry, that probably wasn't appropriate. Was that appropriate?

As a teacher oft told me in high school. "Please bring your mind up to the gutter."

:goofy:

If you want to avoid Cessna and get a NAS part, order them from East Coast Hardware supply. I have always ordered my aircraft hardware there. They show the plugs in their book.

Thanks for the heads-up guys but I just ordered a 1/2 dozen from Air Power. They were pretty reasonable (in aviation terms).

No offense, but I'm really curious why you would buy something for $8 when the same exact part is available for 50c or so? And, instead of chrome plated steel that has every chance to galvanically corrode why you wouldn't choose a new design from composites that don't have the problem?

Just curious, not trying to start a holy war.

Jim

Simple...Approved part. If I wouldn't have been able to find them, I would've gone that route. But when I can find the actual parts that cheaply I'm not going to worry about a few bucks.

Besides, it saves the hassle of determining the size, and thenordering something sight unseen that I'm not positive will fit. And a trip to town, to buy some locally, if I could even find them, would cost more than just ordering these online.

Last edited:
I believe I have a box of these in my inventory. I just checked my eBay page and I haven't listed them yet. I can check later today, and can assure you they won't be $80 a pop.

My plane has "push plugs" in various places that allow access to bolts or nuts. They're in the belly, bottom of wing, and floor of the cockpit. A couple are missing, the rest have seen better days.

933004_300.jpg

Any ideas?

Fastenal will have them.

Gents, $40 to $50 isn't even a blip on the radar screen, especially when it gives me the peace of mind that I have exactly what I need.

Trying to substitute a generic plug would have cost me an hour or more of research because I don't know the exact size of the plug and possibly a trip to town. My time's worth more to me than $50/hr.

Some people spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on watches. I think they're idiots. I spend $50 on butt plugs...think I'm an idiot if you wish but I think doing else wise would've been penny wise and pund foolish.

To each his own.

Gents, $40 to $50 isn't even a blip on the radar screen, especially when it gives me the peace of mind that I have exactly what I need.

Trying to substitute a generic plug would have cost me an hour or more of research because I don't know the exact size of the plug and possibly a trip to town. My time's worth more to me than $50/hr.

Some people spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on watches. I think they're idiots. I spend $50 on butt plugs...think I'm an idiot if you wish but I think doing else wise would've been penny wise and pund foolish.

To each his own.

It is a generic plug, the engineers design these things to use as many off the shelf parts as possible. Look at you electrical system, look at your control rigging, look at your sheet metal.... They try to save money too, they don't do the volume of auto and appliance manufacturers. It's no big deal what you pay, even $8 isn't a big deal, but at the end of 20 years, the difference between paying aviation retail pricing, and industrial pricing of same like and kind parts buys a Pitts S-1S to keep as a stablemate.

:rolleyes:

Plus, I don't believe they're generic. They are somewhat different than the electrical Jbox plugs I've seen. Does it matter? Prolly not, but they are indeed different (again IIRC)

And what do you continue to not understand about it costing me more money to do the research and find the correct "generic part" that I spent buying the real thing?

Last edited:
Sorry Henning, sold them in January. I sold a box of 1/4 in. nickel plug buttons for $28.00....quantity 46. Made by Auveco part no. 3750. If I find more, I'll let you know.

Too much hardware. :confused:

Bull roar. Your starter is off of a Buick, your generator is off of a Ford, and you think that Cessna is buying botchbuttons to some internal specification? Get into the real world.

Jim

I guess I'll find out when they arrive. Either way it's no biggie.

Seems like the later in the day you post the nastier you are. Wonder why that is?

Back