Cessna ARC 300 with Glideslope?

Cessna150C

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Acronut
I currently have an Arc 300 nav/comm with VOR capability, but would like to add a glideslope. Would it be as simple as having a mechanic install a glideslope receiver and head unit and then redoing the weight & balance? Or is there a lot more to it like new antennas, lots of wiring, etc?

Any input would be appreciated.

Depends on the antenna and wiring currently installed. Most antennas today, like the usual "cat's whisker" type, receive VOR, LOC, and GS. VOR antennas on airplanes old enough to have Cessna/ARC radios may not handle GS well -- back then, separate GS antennas were common. Best bet is to ask your avionics shop to look at what you have and tell you what it will take.

ARC anything isn't worth the up grade.

Why exactly is an ARC not worth keeping? I already have a separate digital COMM that I like, so I really don't know about spending the extra $1500 for a MX-300 or Narco 12D CM when all I'm looking to do is add GS capability.

Why exactly is an ARC not worth keeping? I already have a separate digital COMM that I like, so I really don't know about spending the extra $1500 for a MX-300 or Narco 12D CM when all I'm looking to do is add GS capability.

Most ARC radios don't meet current requirements for how much they spread either side of the frequency they are set to. My understanding is that they are not illegal to keep using but aren't supposed to be restored to service if they fail. It has been many years since I looked at this issue so may not remember correctly.

My own experience with ARC radios is that they use a lot of plug in components like transistors and relays. They are subject to connections between the component pins and the sockets become intermittent. A good heavy screwdriver handle was useful more than once to agitate the radio and get it working again, at least in the short term. Standard practice for a technician was to use contact cleaner spray, pull the component out of the socket and spray the socket, then repeatedly insert and remove the component to clean the contacts. Then begin trouble shooting and aligning. They also only have about half the channels as modern radios. You can't tune them to many of the frequencies in use such as 132.475. You can only tune to 142.40 or .45

The other poster didn't say to get rid of it. He said that it wasn't worth upgrading. I agree

When you go in and add a GS to the nav side of the radio, you must play with the harness old wire harness do not like to be moved or mesed with.

You might better add one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Narc...otors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item19c84838bb

Last edited:
When you go in and add a GS to the nav side of the radio, you must play with the harness old wire harness do not like to be moved or mesed with.

You might better add one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Narc...otors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item19c84838bb

I concur. All things considered, for the dollar spent, that would be the way to go. What ever happened to Terra Radios? Are they still around? I used those before and didn't have a problem, YMMV.... A good "monohole" nav will be a better deal.

Last edited:
Back