Cessna 421 down East Texas

Looks like a good landing, and all survive! Excellent.

Hey I know Edd...owns Taste of Texas one of the best Steakhouses in Texas and Political junkie and former talk radio host...glad their injuries are currently being reported as non life threatening on the local radio...

Awesome, that's the best kinda of crash landing.... where everyone makes it out alive.

We don't see enough of these.

Is it too soon to fire up the "POA Crash Speculation Engine"?

I vote Kernal Mustard, in the hanger with the Fuel Nozzle.

Any other speculators?

Any other speculators?

Go short on pork bellies.

Any other speculators?

Probably not because speculation is a game of ignorance played by the ignorant.

From a mutual friend of ours...

Heading back to Houston from KC as he sources his Beef for his restaurant there. Diverted to Lufkin due to weather last night....Got 50 gal of fuel which he did not witness due to raining so hard.

Gave him Jet A not 100LL...

On departure this morning lost the first engine at 2300 ft and the second on the way down at 1700 ft. IMC. Broke out at 1000AGL lined up with I-59 stalled low level trying to avoid a car and sheared the gear on landing and slid into the median. Two passengers basically walked away and Edd is in surgery for back injury.

Heading back to Houston from KC as he sources his Beef for his restaurant there. Diverted to Lufkin due to weather last night....Got 50 gal of fuel which he did not witness due to raining so hard.

On departure this morning lost the first engine at 2300 ft and the second on the way down at 1700 ft. IMC. Broke out at 1000AGL lined up with I-59 stalled low level trying to avoid a car and sheared the gear on landing and slid into the median. Two passengers basically walked away and Edd is in surgery for back injury.
Pretty good outcome from a bad situation!:D Similar thing happened to a friend of mine in a Navajo, he was a new mutli engine pilot, but had his MEI in the right seat, they made it back to the runway, FBO bought him two reman engines and they flew it home 6 weeks later!

Fact or WAG?

Any other speculators?

I just called my psychic and she said the plane has Jet A in the tanks.

Fact or WAG?

I would say from the source fact...sure explains it...but your right never believe anything on the internet....even if it came from the pilot himself.

Lol, I should have kept reading... Hope he comes out of the surgery well, guessing a disc blew.

I would say from the source fact...sure explains it...but your right never believe anything on the internet....even if it came from the pilot himself.

Unfortunately it is still the leading cause of 421s going down. :(

Unfortunately it is still the leading cause of 421s going down. :(

Didn't we have 2 just last year? I doubt any other reason took out 2.

So, out of 464 accidents with 421's (NTSB database) and when the query is asked "jet A" it shows 10 accidents, I hardly think that misfueling with Jet A is 'the leading cause" of 421's going down. :rolleyes2:

Glad all are OK.....

DAMN misfueling....... again....:mad2::mad2::mad:

Good to hear.

Another reason I like turbines, make the mistake of putting 100LL in the tank, and that would be a large mistake on a very obvious turboprop, plus I watch fueling, but it wouldn't shut the engine down.

Wonder if his tanks were marked 100LL/AVGAS/etc?

So, out of 464 accidents with 421's (NTSB database) and when the query is asked "jet A" it shows 10 accidents, I hardly think that misfueling with Jet A is 'the leading cause" of 421's going down. :rolleyes2:

How many other causes are there? Which one has the highest count?

Good to hear.

Another reason I like turbines, make the mistake of putting 100LL in the tank, and that would be a large mistake on a very obvious turboprop, plus I watch fueling, but it wouldn't shut the engine down.

Wonder if his tanks were marked 100LL/AVGAS/etc?

PT-6 in the AT-502 even had an allowance for it in the manual, IIRC 13 hrs and then some inspection and service had to be performed. Al told me that the turbines on the B-36 burned The same fuel as the recip for IIRC 20hrs.

CFIT, IMC, pilot error, etc. You're welcome to go look up the data.

10 misfuelings out of 464 total accidents is hardly "the leading cause"......:rolleyes:

Agree

That said when you're flying a plane that looks more like a turbine to a ramp guy, best to really be extra extra cautious.

Planes like the aero commander come to mind.

That said when you're flying a plane that looks more like a turbine to a ramp guy, best to really be extra extra cautious.

but it's pretty sad that a ramper can't take a look at the cowling and immediately know if it's a piston or turbine.

Of course, lots of jet A would be put in Beech 18s and Stearmans this way...round cowls dontchaknow! :yesnod:

(On Stearmans that are fitted with a cowl)

but it's pretty sad that a ramper can't take a look at the cowling and immediately know if it's a piston or turbine.

Of course, lots of jet A would be put in Beech 18s and Stearmans this way...round cowls dontchaknow! :yesnod:

(On Stearmans that are fitted with a cowl)

Or a feathered prop on shutdown, of course now you'll have 100LL in TPE-331s.

Could always read the label around the hole too :dunno:

Or a feathered prop on shutdown, of course now you'll have 100LL in TPE-331s.

Could always read the label around the hole too :dunno:

Not to mention the nozzle/neck AD/Mandate specifically to address this very thing.:mad2::mad2::mad2:

I repair one FBO's fuel trucks for money on my fuel card. My most common repair, diesel in gas trucks and gas in diesel trucks. I personally would never let anyone fuel my plane without me standing there. The chances are low for me as I am cheap and always try to get to self service.

Awesome, that's the best kinda of crash landing.... where everyone makes it out alive.

We don't see enough of these.

The linked article uses the word 'crash' six times...I like 'successful off airport emergency landing' much better.

Glad there were no serious injuries.

Hey I know Edd...owns Taste of Texas one of the best Steakhouses in Texas and Political junkie and former talk radio host...glad their injuries are currently being reported as non life threatening on the local radio...

Do they still have the location near Katy Freeway and Beltway 8? I think it was the original, opened over 20 years ago.

And back injuries resulting from 421 crashes due to misfueling are disc blowouts.

Lol, I should have kept reading... Hope he comes out of the surgery well, guessing a disc blew.

Last week in Destin I ordered 50 gallons per side of Jet-A with Prist. I watched the girl fill out the fuel ticket, it was blue with 100 LL written across it! :yikes: I corrected her and she switch to the Jet-A card, which is white! :D

Last week in Destin I ordered 50 gallons per side of Jet-A with Prist. I watched the girl fill out the fuel ticket, it was blue with 100 LL written across it! :yikes: I corrected her and she switch to the Jet-A card, which is white! :D

Perfect example why pilots should watch ALL phases of fueling.....

If someone screws up.. WE die....:sad::sad:..

They don't..:no:.......:(

The part 135 operator I worked for some years ago had one of there own line man fuel a piston Otter with Jet A. After takeoff engine started running hot. The pilot put it down in a channel some miles from land. Otter was on floats, they sent a boat out and towed Otter back to home base. Took 8 hours to tow, luckily the seas were not to rough. Spent the rest of the week changing cylinders. Luckily, everyone made it home safe, unlucky cost of cylinders, labor and loss of income on a plane that was down because wrong fuel.

Hope the pilot recovers from his back injury, and can fly again.

Last edited:
Back