Cessna 400 Crash- 4 Killed

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
http://www.thv11.com/news/local/state-police-searching-for-missing-plane-in-clark-county/382550469

Cessna 400 crashed after reporting engine trouble over Gurdon, AR.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N972JK/history/20170105/1745Z/KTKI/1A5/tracklog

Looks like the aircraft was at 25,000' when they started to have issues. The ceilings have been 1500'-3000' all day around here. They found the plane 3 miles away from Gurdon. Don't know if he was shooting for Gurdon or Arkadelphia.

Update: Looks like they are now saying 2 killed.

According to the experts on the Internet engine failures in cruise are rare and henceforth a BRS has no safety benefit.

According to the experts on the Internet engine failures in cruise are rare and henceforth a BRS has no safety benefit.
With that said, if it was simply an engine failure at FL250 I would think in an airplane like that, you could glide to an airport with more than enough runway available.

With that said, if it was simply an engine failure at FL250 I would think in an airplane like that, you could glide to an airport with more than enough runway available.

Im sure any airplane could glide to a runway from FL250 assuming no other issues. 1500' ceilings would add some difficulty in finding an airport. Is this plane pressurized? Loss of pressurization could knock out the pilot. Some type of fire could have caused them to have to shut off the avionics and unable to find a runway.

Who knows...

It's not pressured. I noticed in the flightaware link that they first climbed to 17500 (a VFR altitude) for about 15 minutes before climbing to FL250. Of course you need oxygen at 14,000, but as you go above 18000 you're supposed to wear a facemask rather than the cannula. Are there ATC recordings of the incident?

Im sure any airplane could glide to a runway from FL250 assuming no other issues. 1500' ceilings would add some difficulty in finding an airport.
Agreed, plenty of airports to glide to from FL250, provided one is conscious.
And agreed that making it to an airport if it is reporting OVC015 is not easy without an engine to fly the standard approach. Still, GPS direct could have put the plane into the pattern to at least attempt a short power-off circle-to-land approach.
IMHO, that's where synthetic vision (extra $25/year on ForeFlight) could help a lot. Instead of watching the little TC and compass, the AHRS and runway picture on screen seems much more appealing to me.

Waiting for the initial report to come out, hoping for more information.
R.I.P.

It's not pressured. I noticed in the flightaware link that they first climbed to 17500 (a VFR altitude) for about 15 minutes before climbing to FL250. Of course you need oxygen at 14,000, but as you go above 18000 you're supposed to wear a facemask rather than the cannula. Are there ATC recordings of the incident?

It appears ATC audio archives are kept for 30 days at this site: http://www.liveatc.net/archive.php Can someone help me determine which feed I should search to find the ATC audio for this incident?

It appears ATC audio archives are kept for 30 days at this site: http://www.liveatc.net/archive.php Can someone help me determine which feed I should search to find the ATC audio for this incident?

It's very unlikely you'll find a feed that recorded the Memphis / Fort Worth High sector. I've been pushing for a feed at Arkadelphia. F

rom what I've heard from my friends down there is that he stopped talking in the 20s. I'm wondering if he spun it in. I haven't heard if all four corners were found at the location.

Thanks ARFlyer, that helps narrow it down. I was looking at Memphis Center HSV and it's not there. So, they would have been on "Memphis / Fort Worth High" sector.

The other feeds I see on the archive site that reference Memphis are "ZME Memphis Center (NSV/Hamilton)", "ZME Memphis Center (Tupelo RCAG)", and "ZME Memphis RCAG." Should I bother with any of these?

What do you mean when you say "I haven't heard if all four corners were found at the location."? Sorry I have zero aviation knowledge/experience.

Last edited:
What do you mean when you say "I haven't heard if all four corners were found at the location."? Sorry I have zero aviation knowledge/experience.

Nose, wingtips, tail. Evidence that the airframe impacted intact and it wasn't an in-flight breakup.

Hopefully they'll publish the ATC audio from Memphis Center in the final report.

Back