Cessna 206 to West Point

Brad W

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
BLW2
I saw this pop into my news feed.
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-...tron-aviation-delivers-cessna-206s-west-point
So The US Military Academy bought a couple Cessna 206's for "training"

Any idea as to what sort of training that would be? Parachute jump training perhaps?

It just struck me as odd... if they were doing some sort of basic introduction to flying for future pilots wouldn't a smaller 172 or 182 sized bird make more sense?

And if Cadets were getting jump training wouldn't they go to an army Airborne school set up for that?

Great questions that (as someone familiar with these programs) I can answer for the curious reader!

The Cessna 206 aircraft are replacing C182's and are operated by instructors in the Department of Civil & Mechanical Engineering for Flight Laboratories as part of coursework for the Aeronautical Engineering Minor. The larger aircraft and modern avionics will increase efficiency and safety; i.e. the higher capacity will let more cadets per sortie gather data, and more cadets enroll in the minor.

Yes, the right front door mod was done at the factory prior to delivery. No, the aircraft are not modified with a jump STC. These aircraft are owned by the Department of Civil & Mechanical Engineering and operated in conjunction with the 2nd Aviation Detachment. The cadet parachute team jumps from separate 2nd Aviation Detachment aircraft as well as civilian aircraft.

Cadets may register their preference to attend the US Army Airborne School at Fort Benning, GA during the summer, however, only members of the cadet parachute team jump actively on the West Point Military Reservation.

Back