Cessna 206 left main tire shimmy

David Augspurger

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dirtracer35
The left main on my 206 shakes fairly violently when landing on pavement. Reducing the tire pressure seems to help things a lot. Doesn't shake when landing on grass. Doesn't shake during takeoff. Have had several different tire on it. They all shake. It is only the left main. What is the best roundest 600-6 tire you can buy? All the tires I have had on the plane don't look round when you jack up the plane and rotate them. Any Ideas?

Thanks
David

Are the landing gear properly aligned? I've seen at least one Cessna that was not (probably due to a nine-G landing by a student.) The two main wheels should be following the same track.

Are the landing gear properly aligned? I've seen at least one Cessna that was not (probably due to a nine-G landing by a student.) The two main wheels should be following the same track.

This is a good possibility. A wheel trying to follow a different path than the airplane will do funny stuff on pavement, while on grass it just slips.

Static balancing should be done on main wheels. An awful lot of aircraft wheels get no balancing at all, and the tires are not well balanced when they're new.

Check tire balance first. Then check brakes and bearings and bearing pre-load.

Hopefully it is not bent anywhere.

That is an important thing that is often overlooked or improperly set up. My left wheel is cambered way over and looks like the axle is bent. I'm definitely going to check it during the annual...

Out of balance, bad bearing, bent spindle, or out of alignment.

They are aligned using greased skid plates and shims. A good Cessna service center will have a small pile of different angled shims, and they are often on eBay.

They are aligned using greased skid plates and shims. A good Cessna service center will have a small pile of different angled shims, and they are often on eBay.

The issue is finding the correct size NAS bolts required if adding shims. The cost is staggering.

Back