Cessna 195 - idle question.

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Light and Sporty Guy
Ok, since there aren't many 195's that qualify as LSAs, so I'm not really in the market, but that doesn't stop me from looking at pictures.

Question: How is the visibility in flight? Looks like your head is up in the wing root which means you kinda have to duck down to look out to the sides? True?

They are nice looking airplanes... :thumbsup:

Are you sure that you mean a 1 9 5 ???
I didn't know that they qualified as an LSA

Did you mean a 1 6 2 ????

No, he's kidding. You'd have to saw one in half to make it an LSA!

Calling Greg Brockelman!!! We have a 195 question for you!!!!!!!!

One of the, if not the, most beautiful planes ever, IMHO.

Yes I meant 195. And "not many qualify" would be more accurately stated as "none qualify" - sorry was trying to be funny.

how dare you try to be funny. this is a no joke zone.

having flown with Greg just a little, i'd say the visibility is not so great. yes, like many other high wing cessnas there is some ducking required to see out the side.

I'd say it is not what you might be used to....but you learn to accomodate so it is not a big deal. Certainly not a big enough deal to dissuade me should I be considering purchase of such a fine a/c!

Regarding outward Vis in a 195: If you are in a 195 everyone is watching you. . . :)

how dare you try to be funny. this is a no joke zone.

having flown with Greg just a little, i'd say the visibility is not so great. yes, like many other high wing cessnas there is some ducking required to see out the side.

Ditto. It's quite a different sight picture than say a 172, more like a miniature version of the view out of a DC3 cockpit. OTOH, your brother's yellow Pitts has a view that's about as restrictive but in a different way.

If you are a relatively tall person, you do have to duck down to see out the sides of the airplane. Your head is pretty much right smack dab in the middle of the wingroot. But one does learn to accommodate.

If you are a relatively tall person, you do have to duck down to see out the sides of the airplane. Your head is pretty much right smack dab in the middle of the wingroot. But one does learn to accommodate.

That's how it looked to me. Thanks.

I assume the spar carry through does not go through your head. :wink2:

Ok, since there aren't many 195's that qualify as LSAs, so I'm not really in the market, but that doesn't stop me from looking at pictures.

Question: How is the visibility in flight? Looks like your head is up in the wing root which means you kinda have to duck down to look out to the sides? True?

They are nice looking airplanes... :thumbsup:

I'm 6'0 and that's kinda what I found flying it. "Three point" landings found me using a small patch in the lower front of the side window for my visual reference. It's a bit disconcerting at first, but it is viable. If I had a 195 I'd probably have it on floats though so it wouldn't matter. Wheel landings had good enough vis as did normal flight if I slouched a bit.

Back