Cessna 182P + Concord Battery = Cover Will Not Shut

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
Today while getting the strut serviced I mentioned the engine cranks but only after a very slight hesitation. He checked the battery voltage, looked at the age of the battery and type (Gil ??). So he recommended a new battery and strongly recommended Concord. I had heard about them being good so "Okay, lets do it".

But the battery box cover will not close. He commented that the cover doesn't look original as he it wasn't clear plastic (not sure if I heard him correctly there).

I know during our pre-purchase log review that an old battery must have leaked as they had to replace that area. Is it possible they used a non-factory battery holder? Has anyone else had this same problem with a Concord Battery and found a solution?

Got a pic? My cover is yellow I think. The cables have to exit just right for the notches in the cover to fit. I have a Concorde and it’s tight, but the battery case cover snaps still work.

I would improvise some way or another. Concorde is the way to go. I’d also use a tender periodically.

You will have to modify the battery cover. Why Concorde decided to change the dimensions of their battery is beyond me. They used to give out new battery covers, but no longer. The mods are simple grinder type stuff. I had to put a small spacer under the battery to raise it a little.

Bogert sells kits for some airplanes for the swap.

The battery is much better than a Gill, so that is consolation. But still.....STUPID engineering.

Today while getting the strut serviced I mentioned the engine cranks but only after a very slight hesitation. He checked the battery voltage, looked at the age of the battery and type (Gil ??). So he recommended a new battery and strongly recommended Concord. I had heard about them being good so "Okay, lets do it".

But the battery box cover will not close. He commented that the cover doesn't look original as he it wasn't clear plastic (not sure if I heard him correctly there).

I know during our pre-purchase log review that an old battery must have leaked as they had to replace that area. Is it possible they used a non-factory battery holder? Has anyone else had this same problem with a Concord Battery and found a solution?
The battery box lid figment issue going from Gill to Concorde has been covered on all the different Cessna forums over the years. Some folks have had success using a heat gun to change the shape of their lid instead of cutting and grinding. I could be remembering that wrong though, or maybe it only applies to certain 182 model year battery box lids.

Okay...so I am not the only one...why does that make us feel better?

@kgruber - thanks! I will take a look at Bogert to see if they have anything for Cessna

@baboss - I might still have a login for the Cessna owners and have access to the forum (if that's what you meant). Surely someone must have run into this.

@455 Bravo Uniform - I will work on getting a pic. I forget to take one while it was out so the next time I fly take the stuff one and get a picture of the cover.

We had trouble fitting the battery box cover over a new battery. You'd be surprised at the number of problems fixable by a rubber mallet.

Yup, that's it. Care with the heat gun, does not take much

Ah...you guys are awesome. I haven't even had a chance to get to the plane to take pictures yet. The two links you've shared look exactly like what we ran into!

Resurrecting this thread with an update:

I received my Concorde battery yesterday, used a heat gun to mildly deform (push out) the inward pointing notches on each side. Cover goes on just fine. Plane starts right away now. The worst part of the whole job is replacing the safety pin on the aft side of the battery cover. I didn't dare crawl back in there to see it so had to do it by feel.

Thanks again for all the help!

Back