Cessna 182 Towbar Recommendations?

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
Does anyone out there use this longer style towbar on a Cessna 182?

14085.jpg

"Cessna Twin Engine Towbar" at Sporty's Pilot Shop

Or has anyone found a towbar that works great for this kind of plane?

I need a replacement for the non-telescoping kind included with the plane, the kind that is too short and causes me to hit my head on the spinner and get run over by the plane. (I can't find a picture of the towbar!) This is a Cessna Turbo Skylane we're talking about with a long snout and three-bladed prop.

I'm looking at some different options online trying to compare. As soon as I buy something I'll report on who's winning, me or the plane.

Kate,

Like Dunc, I have the standard length towbar and feel that it works just fine. Mine looks just like the one in your photo except it's standard length. Actually, now that I look again, no it doesn't. Mine's spring loaded and looks like this:

14084.jpg

When pushing the plane into the hangar I push with my right hand on the towbar & left hand on the prop immediately next to the spinner :)hairraise:). If the towbar were too long to do this then I think it would make things more difficult pushing the plane into the hangar because you'd have to push on the towbar only. It wouldn't matter when pulling it out.

As an aside, and I believe I've mentioned this before, I put the towbar pin on my plane's keychain. That serves two purposes.

1. When you're using the towbar you're assured that the ignition switch is off because your keys are with you.

2. When starting the plane you're assured that you haven't left the towbar on the nosewheel because the towbar pin is with you.

Last edited:
Kate, if you're not looking for something to keep in the plane I recommend the Brackett TH-5

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/brackettuniversaltowbars.php

TH-5.jpg

If you require a "collapsible" towbar consider the Bogerts Model 4-182-XL which utilizes an extended handle specifically for the later model 182s which add ~7" to the handle reach and is a slightly more robust design than the one you're looking at, imho.

http://www.bogert-av.com/index.php?...category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=23

Nose_Wheel_Aircr_4c98d285a5954_90x90.png

Keep in mind that Kate is like 5'1" on a tall day.

Kate, if you're not looking for something to keep in the plane I recommend the Brackett TH-5

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/brackettuniversaltowbars.php

TH-5.jpg

If you require a "collapsible" towbar consider the Bogerts Model 4-182-XL which utilizes an extended handle specifically for the later model 182s which add ~7" to the handle reach and is a slightly more robust design than the one you're looking at, imho.

http://www.bogert-av.com/index.php?...category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=23

Nose_Wheel_Aircr_4c98d285a5954_90x90.png

I have one similar to the Bogert - except there's no spring. The problem I've had with the (cheap) Cessna bars and some of the aftermarket spring-loaded bars is that they will open up under the stress of turning the nosewheel. No experience with the Bogert though and it looks pretty stout.

Yes I have the same one Tim does, I think Sporty's might call it a "delux" because of the spring. I don't have any issues with it popping open, but some of the cheap ones we keep in the rental fleet (why put an expencive tow bar in the plane for the renter to loose, BTDT) do have that issue.

If the tailwheel is on the correct end of the airplane, a short length of rope solves a lot of problems. Plus ground maneuverability (under power or pushing) is greatly improved.

There are also aftermarket pop out handles for 180/185 that mount on the aft part of the fuselage.

Just say'n.

I had my eye on the standard Sporty's model a few of you mentioned. But this Bogi-Bar-- I hadn't heard of that. If it's all it's cracked up to be, it might be great! Especially because of what Steve mentioned about it being specifically for this type of plane and a little longer length. Made in the USA. It's designed so that it shouldn't open unexpectedly when turning the nosewheel. Padded handles too, ooh! I think I will order one of these and report back. I couldn't find much conversation about them online except apparently the brand is popular with RV builders.

Kate! how have you been??

Doing well! New job since January: I am the flight school manager at Frontline Aviation, part of Jet Air Group in Green Bay, flying four different types of planes there (C172, C175, SR20, SR22). Business is booming so much that I hardly have energy left to fly for fun lately. Meanwhile I have been flying the C182 for a local company for a couple years now. Don't know why I've put up with a bad towbar that long. Maybe the new one will arrive just in time for an upgrade to a bigger aircraft and it'll all be a moot point!

Keep in mind that Kate is like 5'1" on a tall day.

Haha, yep, 5'3" and flying is the only way I can see over anyone or anything! :)

A belated update. I used my new towbar yesterday and finally remembered to report here. I bought the Bogi-Bar towbar model designed for the Turbo Skylane and it is AWESOME! This extra-long model solves the problems mentioned in my original post perfectly because it is just the right length. Whoever designed this: bravo. This is exactly what I was looking for. Well-made. Worth the price. It collapses and fits in the baggage compartment where the other towbar used to be (secured on the side wall). This thing is designed to have such a strong grip, it holds onto the plane with no remote threat of popping off. My hands also get a good grip on the padded handle. This is really the best towbar I've ever seen... Should be standard equipment! I highly recommend it to anyone needing to move a long-nosed Skylane with a big spinner! And anyone else needing a towbar should check out Bogert Aviation because they have various models for different planes. Thanks again Steve for your earlier post pointing me in this direction.

http://www.bogertaviation.com

Meanwhile I have been flying the C182 for a local company for a couple years now. Don't know why I've put up with a bad towbar that long. Maybe the new one will arrive just in time for an upgrade to a bigger aircraft and it'll all be a moot point!

Your local company needs to budget this: http://www.powertow.com/40ez1.html

I've been using one for several years and give it a 10 rating.

Your local company needs to budget this: http://www.powertow.com/40ez1.html

I've been using one for several years and give it a 10 rating.

Ours "came with the airplane"... well, kinda. Co-owners didn't want to buy it from the previous owner at his price, then pushed and shoved the 182 with long-range-tanks full around a few times by themselves, called up the previous owner, and went and got it.

Last year, ours developed a crack in one of the arms, and cracks where the arm attaches to the engine plate. It's an older model. Talking to the company, they seemed to know about the problem, and offered up a "kit", meaning... you take your engine off the old unit and put it on this re-designed complete tug frame, and that'll fix the problem.

Would not have been cheap.

Instead we found a local welder to weld the cracks and add appropriate braces at the arm attach points, as well as an additional brace underneath the deck where the engine sits. He charged us next to nothing, and said he'd like to get his kids an airplane ride. He was a neighbor of my dad's and dad joked that he had to go over there and keep him from completely re-designing the thing. He would have re-built it so that it'd be around until 2112 if my dad hadn't stopped him. (The guy does seamless gutters for a living, and I know who I'm calling when ours need done... I love finding meticulous perfectionists that love what they do. He also built his own pole and hardware for an old ski lift chair he found and restored, for his front porch. Heh... it's cool.)

That part's done, and we thought one ride was a little light for all the work he did, so I still owe him and his wife a night flight over the city to see the lights... it's just been too cold to put them through freezing out at the hangar to do it. We'll get 'er done in the Spring.

A belated update. I used my new towbar yesterday and finally remembered to report here. I bought the Bogi-Bar towbar model designed for the Turbo Skylane and it is AWESOME! This extra-long model solves the problems mentioned in my original post perfectly because it is just the right length. Whoever designed this: bravo. This is exactly what I was looking for. Well-made. Worth the price. It collapses and fits in the baggage compartment where the other towbar used to be (secured on the side wall). This thing is designed to have such a strong grip, it holds onto the plane with no remote threat of popping off. My hands also get a good grip on the padded handle. This is really the best towbar I've ever seen... Should be standard equipment! I highly recommend it to anyone needing to move a long-nosed Skylane with a big spinner! And anyone else needing a towbar should check out Bogert Aviation because they have various models for different planes. Thanks again Steve for your earlier post pointing me in this direction.

http://www.bogertaviation.com

Bogert tow bars are indeed awesome. The tailwheel tow bars are pretty dang good too!

Back