Cessna 182 O-470U Questions

jamie_landers

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jamie A. Landers
Hello All!

I'm trying to make an extremely educated buy decision on a 182.

In 1977 Cessna switched to a higher compression/ Lower RPM O-470U.

Any fact based opinions on the engine? Better or worse than the lower compression higher RPM earlier models?

Thanks in advance, hope everyone had a great Christmas!

It is the best Continental engine Cessna put in the 180/182.

My experience with the "U" in the 180 has all been positive. I also owned a 57' 180 with an "R" engine. It was a great engine as well. Hard to find fault with any of them.

Hello All!

Any fact based opinions on the engine? Better or worse than the lower compression higher RPM earlier models?

As mentioned already, the principal disadvantage to this engine is it will never get a mogas STC. The slower turning prop is an advantage, though if you want to upgrade this plane to a Pponk O-470-50 engine, the stock prop will not be compatible with that STC. We started with a stock O-470U and had no significant issues with it other than needing to replace a couple jugs that had about 900 hours on them, due to the exhaust valve problems that are common in O-470 engines (especially if not flown regularly). A couple hundred hours past TBO we upgraded to a Pponk, but the stock engine is fine unless you're regularly flying in the low to mid teens and needing high density altitude performance (which describes a good bit of the flying we do).

Hello All!

Same plane I have now, is it an N735## or N759##? That was the factory tail numbers for a ton of them! :D I grew up flying a P model, the Q's performance is the same, I do like the slower turning prop, noise-wise, but since we all wear headsets now it's not as big of a deal. :rolleyes: So far, the engine has been great, it's only about 475 since reman, so I can't give you any long term results.:dunno:

IMHO the low compression O-470's go beyond TBO more commonly than the "U". I've long said that a 1500 hour TBO "R" is much more likely to run 2,000 hours than a supposed 2,000 hour "U". An "R" run at 2,200 -2,300 RPM is smoother than a "U". No scientific data or statistics just my opinion but I have flown well over 100 of them and watched many hundreds go through my shops at overhaul. Charlie Melot Zephyr Engines

Same plane I have now, is it an N735## or N759##? That was the factory tail numbers for a ton of them! :D I grew up flying a P model, the Q's performance is the same, I do like the slower turning prop, noise-wise, but since we all wear headsets now it's not as big of a deal. :rolleyes: So far, the engine has been great, it's only about 475 since reman, so I can't give you any long term results.:dunno:

I'm partners in 759AJ. We did a top at 1000 hours and replaced all the cylinders with new but that was mostly because in a 5 way partnership costs are splits so it's not as painful. It needed 2 jugs reworked during the annual and we did not want to keep having to do them one or two at a time. It's in the paint shop now and hopefully we will get it back first week in February.

I'm partners in 759AJ. We did a top at 1000 hours and replaced all the cylinders with new but that was mostly because in a 5 way partnership costs are splits so it's not as painful. It needed 2 jugs reworked during the annual and we did not want to keep having to do them one or two at a time. It's in the paint shop now and hopefully we will get it back first week in February.

Do you still have any of the original 1000 hr cylinders? Would you be willing to sell a couple (ones that were still serviceable)?

Thanks,
Wade

Back