Cessna 182 fuel tank venting issue

Ron Stowell

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Granbury Aviation Services
Have a Cessna 182 the right tank does not vent. Removed the headliner, vent tube between the tanks and no obstructions. Any thoughts?

It might help the peanut gallery to know if it's a 1956 182 or a 2020 182 or something in between!

Have a Cessna 182 the right tank does not vent. Removed the headliner, vent tube between the tanks and no obstructions. Any thoughts?
What are the symptoms of not venting? Does the engine eventually quit if you switch to right tank only? Or did you try running the fuel strainer drain for a few minutes while the selector was on Right and the tank fairly full? Or are you just seeing the Right fuel gauge stay up while the Left drops when the selector is on Both?

If it's one of the 182s that has just the one vent under the left wing, a leaking right fuel cap will let the low pressure on the wing put some negative pressure on the tank, holding back the fuel on that side, and also drawing fuel from the left side across to the right through that vent tube when the left is still fairly full, and through the lines to and from the selector valve all the time it's on Both.

Does your airplane have the flush caps?

When was the fuel sector valve last drained? There's a plug in the bottom of it (look under the airplane's belly) that is supposed to be removed every 100 hours to drain out accumulated crud. I've found 50-year-old airplanes that have never had that plug out, and the selector is predictably full of garbage that can block the flow.

It's always about good maintenance and good, thorough inspections. It always is.

Besides all that, there are airworthiness directives that might not have been complied with on your airplane.

Fuel cap venting:
https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_...225F45DF0B489ACE86256A34006AB0A2?OpenDocument

Fuel cap sealing and some other stuff:
https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_...7CA32CBFD7107A87862569B9004D1566?OpenDocument

As others have said; what are symptoms and model year?

Long Range Tanks by any chance?

I think you are too eager to take things apart.

Easy to check venting.

Slip hose or tubing on Vent Tube near Strut.

Remove one fuel cap ( right?)

Blow in tube - mouth only No compressed air!!!

You should see/smell/ hear fuel vapors leaving port.

If it comes out the RIGHT it means LEFT is vented also.

If it doesn’t reinstall RIGHT cap and remove LEFT and check.

Other issues might cause whatever you are seeing .

Describe

I just cured my fuel vent problem.
I had checked the proximity dimensions of the vent tube to the strut. All was good. Next I performed the tests per maintenance manual of vent check valve. That was good. It wasn’t till I opened up the inspection plates above the wing did I find that the plastic tube vent line in the left tank had come off AT THE POINT WHERE IT CONNECTS TO THE CROSSOVER POINT AT THE WING ROOT. This tube was still in its ties and was good on side where it resides next to the check valve. After I reconnected this tube, closed the inspection plate, refilled the tank, and moved the fuel selector valve to “BOTH” did I actually watch both fuel gages even out. I flew today to top off the tanks and check the system. I had even fuel flow. I dipped both tanks when I returned to my airport. Problem cured.

Last edited:
Back