Cessna 182 Diesel Conversion

The whole 1.7 engine was a fiasco. It was/is (are there still planes flying with it?) a very unrealiable engine with a lot of difficulties and engine related accidents. What I learned is that the engine was a converted Mercedes Benz engine with being constantly fully loaded, way more heavy then it was designed for. This caused problems like in-flight shutdowns, fires or complete failures (like mine in the post in the beginning of this thread).

A lot of operators of the engine replaced it early for the newer version with discount from the manufacturer.
From what I had found there are a couple with the 1.7L engines left, in Europe. In watching the DA-42 market for a year, I never saw any come up in the USA. I did catch a rumor of one though, but someone else beat me to it.
Actually all of the Thielert/Continental plus Austro engines are all Benz derivatives, the 640 something engine if memory is correct.
Continental actually strips the engine, cracks the case and takes everything out and throws away the iron case and rebuilds the internals in an aluminum case. Most of the accessories are replaced.
Austro just removes the accessories and keeps the iron case, which is why the Austro engine weighs so much more. I cannot recall if it was 90lbs or 90kg.....

From the history I read, Thielert lied to Diamond, lied to the investors and the press. Ultimately why the CEO was jailed.

The difference between either the AE300 or the CD135 2.0 versus the CD135 1.7 is rather incredible from a MX perspective. It really took Thielert three generations of the engine to get it correct, really just before Continental took it over, Austro/Diamond managed to get it fundamentally right on the first try. I suspect that Diamond learned some lessons from the Thielert issues.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Back