Cessna 175 static port

WarriorPilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
warriorpilot
Anyone know where is located the static port on a 1958 Cessna 175?
Is not near the pilot's door, or anywhere around the cockpit.
Thanks for any help.
:mad2:

The owners handbook for the 1959 C-175 says the static port is "mounted on the left forward side of the fuselage" -- presumably similar to the rest of the C-172 series.

Seeing as how it's just a GO 300 equipped 172 I'd bet you're right

The owners handbook for the 1959 C-175 says the static port is "mounted on the left forward side of the fuselage" -- presumably similar to the rest of the C-172 series.
Is not in there, the only thing attached to that area are two Venturi generators, I assume they generate vacuum for the gyros.
:rolleyes2:
similar to this one:
$%28KGrHqV,%21g0E3uUIs1jVBO%214EgC9q%21%7E%7E0_12.JPG

Last edited:
Would it be too difficult to trace the lines back from the static ports on the VSI and Altimeter?

the parts manual shows it on the pilot side, item 16

1958C175P_S.jpg

service manual, item 12
1958C175P_SA.jpg

according to aircraft blue book the serial #s for 1958 175s are 55001-55703

Is not in there, the only thing attached to that area are two Venturi generators, I assume they generate vacuum for the gyros.

Last edited:
Check just forward of the pilot door - maybe 6 inches forward, about midway point of the door. There is probably no "flat port or pepper shaker" like what you might be looking for. It is just a very small hole in the side of the fusalge. The hole is probably a little less then a 1/32 inch. On that model, I think they only put the static port on the left side.

Last edited:
On my 1960 175A its just forward of the pilots door about 6 or 8 inches below the windshield. In earlier 175's I've seen the thick disc isn't used....its just a hole in the side of the plane with what looks like an embossed circle around it. I think the port body is spot welded or glued/welded on the inside instead of the outside. If you've got venturi's on the left side something is not right. They're probably installed over the port. They should be on the right.

As for the 175 being a 170 fuselage thats not correct. The 175 has the same fuselage as the '56 model 180, not the 170. The 175 is a little wider inside than the 172.

Frank

As for the 175 being a 170 fuselage thats not correct. The 175 has the same fuselage as the '56 model 180, not the 170. The 175 is a little wider inside than the 172.
Do you have a source for that? I don't believe that to be correct.

It's my understanding the 175 is a 170B/172 fuselage, with the forward cabin area (instrument panel, firewall, windshield, etc.) raised and squared off to accommodate the geared engine. That profile was later adopted in the '61 172B.

The small difference in cabin width you mention may be only a funtion of upholstery changes from year to year.

Photos below: 172, 175 and 180, all from the 1959 model year.

cessna_172_1959.jpg

cessna_175_1959_03.jpg

cessna_180b.jpg

It's my understanding the 175 is a 170B/172 fuselage, with the forward cabin area (instrument panel, firewall, windshield, etc.) raised and squared off to accommodate the geared engine. That profile was later adopted in the '61 172B.

The squarish instrument panel has nothing to do with the geared engine, the GO- takes the same mount configuration as the O-

The squared off instrument panel was designed for the center stacked radios and the "Y" yoke style controls.

None of the fuselages mentioned above are interchangeable but they do look very much the same. Same pencil, same drawing board, and same engineer.

The small difference in cabin width you mention may be only a funtion of upholstery changes from year to year.

Here is one source....

http://www.cessna175.org/index_files/techover.htm

Another has been actual work on the planes.
The parts from the 170 series won't fit the 175, they are different. The early 172's did share the fuselage or at least most of the structure with the 170B but the 175 is a different airplane. All the single cessna's with struts look very similar but they are not the same. In reality the 175 and 180 fuselages have differences too but mostly where landing gear and engine attach. The 175 has a stepped firewall though I can't say why....
The 175 has its own type certificate and there were later 172 models such as the higher powered T41's and the 180HP 172's which used the TC from the 175.

On the other hand, my 175 flies like a 172.....and like a 182 as well only lighter.

In any case I hope the original poster was able to find the static port.

Frank

Back