Cessna 172SP Checkout Tonight

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Well, just a few hours till I go up with an instructor again, but this time to obtain my checkout in a Cessna 172SP (2002 model). I've been reading the POH, reviewing checklists, and trying to remember the airspeeds as they are slightly different than the 1979 C152 I've been flying since January.

Renter's agreement filled out, Insurance Summary Copied, and I have my flightbag in the car so I can head over right after work and watch the planes fly for a while till my appointment at 5:30. If all goes well and I complete the checkout tonight, I have from 5-8pm booked tomorrow night to get a little more familiar with the GPS, dual VOR's, and to enjoy some sight-seeing.

We had a front push through this morning with rain, but it is now Clear below 12000, Calm winds, and I hope it stay's that way for the rest of the evening. I'll post again later tonight to summarize what I had to do, and how I do as well. Seems funny going up with another instructor rather than Barb, but I'm sure this will be a good experience and I'll learn some new valuable information from him too.

Have fun, I'm sure you'll checkout just fine. A little bit more back pressure on the roundout and flare and getting used to the different V speeds is all it takes.

Fly safe,

While I've never flown a 150, the 172 is an easy bird to fly. You'll make the transition without issue, I'm sure. More power is more nicer, and the main thing will be the different V speeds, as Jason said.

When I did my checkout in the Archer (having learned in the 172), I had no issues, although I had done maybe 15 minutes of right seat flying in it previously. My instructor said I could've just hopped in it and flown it without any instruction, but I feel more comfortable at this point getting a checkout with someone who's at least flown the plane before and can tell me "No, you idiot, that switch that says 'DS' on it puts the plane into a death spiral if you flip it." You know, little things. ;)

Have fun! :)

Rob not sure where you are now but I see a line of TCUs to the west . Radar is currently clear though I expect you will have more than enough decent conditions between LOM and the Prison where they have their practice area. Insist on meeting Tom the owner and tell him I say Hey! Their check out is usually an hour.

Do NOT use the fuel pump to prime if the engine is warm! :D

And don't forget all those fuel drains...:yes:

The S-series 'hawks are nice (once the preflight and startup are overwith); a bit heavier than the older 172s, but flying them is not much different.

Do NOT use the fuel pump to prime if the engine is warm! :D

Orrrr.. Just go ahead and flood it with the fuel pump and start from a "known situation" rather than cranking forever trying to get it to sputter. :)

I found the 172SP a refreshing change from the typical beater 172 rental bird. Leather interior and cup holders! Nice. Oh, don't forget to memorize the vast number of fuel drains. I don't recall the number...but it was a lot. A GATS jar is a must when sumping a 172SP. Enjoy the checkout.

I found the 172SP a refreshing change from the typical beater 172 rental bird. Leather interior and cup holders! Nice. Oh, don't forget to memorize the vast number of fuel drains. I don't recall the number...but it was a lot. A GATS jar is a must when sumping a 172SP. Enjoy the checkout.

Ya gotta love all 13 of those things. The one right on the middle of the belly is the most fun to sump. :redface:

It's been a long time since I've flown a 172SP. I can't remember, do they still have the fuel strainer knob next to the oil dip stick?

Also when sumping all 13 sumps on a windy day. remember to be upwind of the drain. Don't ask how I learned that.....

v speeds will all be pretty much 10 mph/knots higher than the respective speeds on a 150/152.

my first flight in an SP was last week. it seems bogus that a flooded start is normal but whatever. flew really nice, i liked the airplane.

I flew our club's SP a few weeks ago. Was quite interesting trying to start the flooded engine with only 2 hands. Trying to crank, manipulate throttle and mix all at the same time is a bit dicey.

Well, all went as planned, and 2.5 hrs of flying later :eek: I can fly the C172's at Wings. It was a good flight, and since everything was going well we spent some time with the GPS and tried the AutoPilot,.. now that is slick!

I arrived and filled out the remaining paperwork at the desk and then started down to the airplane at 5:15, before the instructor was even in from his last flight. I sat in the airplane and looked at the instrument panel, trying to get used to the location and layout of everything, and wondering what all that stuff in the Avionics Column is! Actually, I knew, but in comparison to the Single Com/Nav setup I had in the C152, this was a little overwhelming at first.

After I preflighted, the instructor arrived and we talked about a few items, namely the location of all the sumps (yes, I found all 13 of them, and filled my GATS jar to the brim) and the difference between the Fuel Injected models and the earlier models with Carb Heat and a Normal Carborator.

We loaded up, started the plane, which you guys are right, is a little tricky. I kept reaching for the throttle instead of the mixture out of hapit. Started up, turned on the Avionics and watched all the pretty stuff light up. This plane is great,.. wait,.. GREAT! Smooth, nice interior, nice setup, and a lot of power. Taxied down to the runup and followed the checklist. Spun around from "Charlie taxiway" where I did the runup, and off to the end. Normal takeoff and departure out to the practice area SouthWest of Limerick Power Plant.

Flying there, I was just getting used to the controls and feel of the plane. First up, was some Dutch Rolls, to get a good feel of the aileron/rudder coordination to keep the nose on an axis. Then, clearing turns to the left and right and then into slow flight at 55 knots and full flaps. Plane handles nice at this speed and configuration. We did two 90 degree turns while in slow flight, and then into a power off stall. Good recovery I thought, but he had me do two more till that nose barely dropped at all when I caught it with the throttle. Next, Power on Stalls. Those were good, and he had me do two of them, but both were about the same consistancy. OOpps,.. Engine Out time. We are at 3500', so I had plenty of time. I setup over a field at 68 Knots and circled down. I think he was getting nervous on this, as my instructor always had me go all the way in,.. to 500 feet before the Go-Around. I pulled out at 1800,.. was at 1500 feet A-Beam to my target point, and he said Go-Around.... wow,.. didn't even get to play with the flaps or setup on the field. Ok,...

Back to 3000', Steep turns to the left, with a rollout directly into the right, both were good, but you can really feel the difference in elevator pressure needed between the 152 and 172. Just for kicks, he showed me that you can trim the plane with the trimwheel, roll it into a 45* bank, set the power, and the plane pretty much holds it just by itself,... pretty neat to see it do that.

Now, since I was all turned around in circles :D he had me find my position on the chart and setup the NAV1 to the Pottstown VOR. Tune, Identify, Twist, Turn,.. and I was on my way. Since I never had a plane with two VOR's, we used the second from East-Texas to fly a radial from Pottstown, and intercept the one from East-Texas, which put me right ontop of Pennridge Aiport. Flying the same heading, he showed me how to use the Autopilot for heading hold and altitude, and how to use the Heading Bug to turn the plane. Neat,... made a AutoPilot right turn and faced Green Lane Res.

Next up,.. landing at a Towered field,.. yes, I'm still getting a checkout.....

Used the GPS to control the CDI off Nav1, setup for Reading. Once that was set, I pulled out my AFD and setup the 4 frequencies into the two radio stacks, active and standby. Approach/Tower, ATIS/Ground, and I was getting ready to call. At 15 out, I called Approach and let them know where I was, and I was inbound with Tango Full Stop. They gave me a squalk, and told me to report at 5 miles. Reported at 5 miles, and recieved the right base for RY 31, report 2 mile final. Crossed over the mountain pass, and entered a right base, turning final at just under 2 miles, Cleared to Land on RY 31. Landing was nice, and a good one for my first in a C172 since October of last year. Taxied back to 31, and departed to head back towards Wings.

On the way back, we discussed the need for me to memorize the V-speeds and get familiar with the panel and the location of items. After some practice, I'll get them engrained in my mind. Went back to Wings, entered from the West onto downwind for RY 24, and performed a soft field landing. Nice and smooth. Next time around, Short field,.. but I was tought to do a short field with a full flaps, flat approach, holding the throttle in to hold my accent rate, and landing right on those numbers. I did, just as I was taught, but he wanted me to try it as if there was a short field with a 50' obstical. Ok,..went around again, this time Short Field Takeoff, to a short field landing. Approach was a little high, setup the way he wanted me with full flaps and 62 knots, helped bring us down a little steeper than normal, landed passed the numbers but it was nice.

Next, takeoff one more time, soft field this time and get into ground effect for 75% of the runway length, then climbout. Did this pretty well, but that 172 really wants to go UP,... and climb we did, even in ground effect and nearly level horizon. ABeam the numbers, engine out time for a landing. I held off on flaps, and turned early, cause I wanted to slip a little. 20* flaps,.. started the Slip and dropped her down. 30* flaps and a nice landing to end the night. "Avoid slips with Full Flaps" is on the placard, but you can in an emergency although he didn't want me to on this approach.

So,.. I'm checked out and a happy pilot! 2.5 Hrs on the Hobbs tonight, but Becky is really going to love these airplanes. Now I have to book our next breakfast run!

Attachments

• IMG_5642.JPG
    IMG_5642.JPG
    675.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5643.JPG
    IMG_5643.JPG
    476.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5651.JPG
    IMG_5651.JPG
    705.5 KB · Views: 20
Congrats, nice work!

"Avoid slips with Full Flaps" is on the placard, but you can in an emergency although he didn't want me to on this approach

...which is a complete joke. If I'm high and want to get down with a fast sink rate in a forward slip, you can bet that I'll use full flaps every time. I've never experienced any negative aerodynamic effects (ie, pitch oscillations) as a result of using full flaps in a slip in a 172SP.

Yeah, so it must be five on each wing and three in the belly. It's all coming back now. The guy that checked me out in the SP said pick a pattern, either inside to outside or visa versa, do it the same way on each wing then remember you still have three in the belly. Less than fun. No thanks, I'll take my single sump point per tank plus the gas coalator on my Arrow any day. Oh, and I'd take the Arrow over an SP any day but that's another story B)

I gotta admit though, when my brother and I rented an SP for our CA to OSH trip five years back, it was a fun plane to fly. Several times we were asked "Your plane?" and our standard reply was "Yep, by the hour". :)

2.5 hrs for a checkout, hopefully it was a good one. enjoy the new bird!

Actually, sounds like you did about enough for most people to sign you off for a Flight Review! Did you hook one up ahead of time?

...and a lot of power.

Wait until you go and get your high performance! I got mine in a Dakota (only 235 hp, up from the 180 that I'm used to) and was going "Wow! This thing actually moves!" :)

Sounds like a great time, and now you can take the wife and kids out!

The flying was very good, and even though I was in a new plane, I knew I could do better on altitude holding. I'd drift up and down, trying to get a good feel for how the plane trimmed and getting used to the view over the glaresheild. At one point in flight, I asked him to take the controls so I could adjust the seat height, which felt better.

I just passed the checkride in June,.. so no flight review yet, but it was a good instructional flight and full of material. Expensive, yes, but very much worth it. I'm booked to fly tonight, but I'm not going up for long since last night was longer than expected.

No 182 for a long time,..

Ted,.. I booked a flight on Sun 27th for Becky and I to go to breakfast. She's really going to like this over the 152. After I get a few more flights with her, I'll try to convince her to let me take the kids around the pattern, she's still a little nervous about that.

Last edited:
Orrrr.. Just go ahead and flood it with the fuel pump and start from a "known situation" rather than cranking forever trying to get it to sputter. :)
Not a bad idea, but the ones I've flown simply would not start once they were flooded... and that pump seems to use more juice than the starter, somehow.
:D

Not a bad idea, but the ones I've flown simply would not start once they were flooded... and that pump seems to use more juice than the starter, somehow.
:D

Wow.. How long are you running the pump? Anything more than about 5-6 seconds on an IO-360 and it's pretty much flooded (and that's when it's "dry"). With a hot-start, I only have to go 4-5 seconds to get a solid 'flood'.

My hot/flooded start procedure for the 172 fuel injected airplanes:

Throttle - Full forward
Mixture - idle-cut off

Start while slowly reducing the throttle - when the engine catches, quickly reduce throttle to idle then enrichen mixture.

So far it's worked with every FI airplane I've tried (172, 182, Mooneys, Trinidad, Diamonds).

My Arrow has an IO-360 and for hot starting, I don't run the boost pump. Procedure is throttle at idle, master on, mixture idle/cut off, crank ignition, advance mixture slightly less than 1/2 way at the first sputter. Works like a charm in the Arrow.

I have not tried this procedure in an SP but wonder if it would be any more effective in hot starting. IIRC, when hot starting the SP following the Cessna POH, it did seem somewhat easy to flood. As it was the first FI engine I'd flown behind, I had no other experience.

In the Arrow, I do use the boost pump for cold starts. It's on only long enough to verify fuel flow, maybe 4-5 seconds at most.

Flew again tonight for 1.2,.. Started right up. The engine was warm already, but it has sat for about 45 minutes before I got there. I turned on the fuel pump, advanced the mixture about 1/4, as soon as I saw the fuel flow needle moved, mixture to idle and pump off. Cleared the area, Called, and turned the key advancing the mixture to 1/2 as soon as she sputtered, and smoothly to rich. Prop only turned over maybe three times till she started right up. BUT, I'm used to having to use the throttle in a C152 and pulling back to 1000 RPMs,... pulled the mixture back and almost stalled the engine:eek: Quickly caught it, and fixted the mixture to rich and set the throttle.

Jack, your Hot Start procedure is the way the SP should be started when Hot, and normally works good.

Flight was great. Everywhere north of Wings was dead quiet. Landed at Quakertown,.. no cars in the lot, no hangars open,.. planes tied down..... Left Quakertown and over to Limerick,... one plane moving on the ground. Overflew Perkiomen,... dead, no signs of life, even deer. :(

Back onto Wings frequency, and WOW! where's everyone in the pattern. It was getting close to 7:00, so most students were coming back, a King Air was coming in over Willow Grove, and a Arrow was overflying the field at 2500. I entered the pattern on a 45* downwind entry, with the Arrow crossing above me to circle down just south of the airport, a Citabria in front of me at ABEAM downwind, King Air Landing, Diamond and Cessna Holding... This is busy, this is what an airport should be like. I'm listening to calls, getting in when I can, and trying to keep track of everyone. At one point, the Citabria was on short final, I was turning base, Two were on downwind, and one on crosswind,.. still while the Diamond and Cessna were holding. The diamond asked if he could get out ahead of me if the Citabria cleared,.. but there wasn't enough time. Luckily, the plane behind me extended a little (it's tight to Willow Grove AFB) so the Diamond could depart.

Another CFI said to me after tying down "That was fun wasn't it!"
Sure was.... :yes:

Now, back at home, to tackle painting the bathroom's accent color,... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Cool Rob!

Enjoy the added benefits of the 172 with the family.

... Overflew Perkiomen,... dead, no signs of life, even deer. :(

Well I was there!..... well I may have been in the air about the time you flew over. Took my daughter's boyfriend for his first ride in a small airplane. The conditions tonight were perfect for a first timer...smooth, and clear and a million :yes:

Some shots from tonight

Attachments

• DSCN0220.JPG
    DSCN0220.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0241.JPG
    DSCN0241.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0246.JPG
    DSCN0246.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0247.JPG
    DSCN0247.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 9
Looks like you went up after I passed by or near to it as I'm fairly sure the Tiger was in the normal spot when I went over. I flew over,.. ah,.. somewhere in the neighborhood of 6:30?... I remember looking at my watch when we were on the taxiway at Quakertown and it was 6:12pm then.

It was great out there tonight. To bad my wife is in the mountains it would have been another great night to take her up. Glad you had a good run and he did well. We still have to get together for a flight, with me in the Left seat this time.

This 172 is nice, and hopefully I can type this without jinxing myself, I'm landing it really well. It's ground effect really cushons the accent and I've been fortunate last night and tonight not to have any crosswinds to land in. Next time I land in front of AdamZ, it should be a nice and smooth touch on the mains. :yes:

I do have to find a manual or pilot guide for the GPS and AutoPilot though. In the POH I have it gives a brief overview of the installed items. Didn't matter tonight though, just bounced around on VOR's getting used to using two to verify position. I like that ability, and with alittle planning upfront, I could set them up ahead of time on the ground, so they are another checkpoint enroute.

Last edited:
I saw you at Wings Rob i was with the big AFE group in the terminal as you walked past. I would have bummed a ride if you were going out but you were headed back. Give me a ring anytime your over there.

I do have to find a manual or pilot guide for the GPS and AutoPilot though. In the POH I have it gives a brief overview of the installed items. Didn't matter tonight though, just bounced around on VOR's getting used to using two to verify position. I like that ability, and with alittle planning upfront, I could set them up ahead of time on the ground, so they are another checkpoint enroute.
I've got some of the manuals posted here: http://www.aandmaviation.com/links.html. Look at the bottom for links to the KLN stuff and the KAP140. Probably what you have in the 182SP, depending on the avionics package.

Heh heh hope you scared the crap out of him. " Look buddy mess with my little girl and its a long but quick ride to the ground"B)

That's exactly what I was thinking! :yes:

He must not be too terrible (yet) if he survived the flight. :D

Grant,.. thanks for the link and information, just what I am looking for (KAP 140 AP, and the KLN 94)

Adam,.. I didn't realize there was a meeting till I opened the door and everyone looked up,.. tried to sneak through and not disturb you guys. I was returning the keys at that time after an enjoyable flight. I'll PM you or call next time I'm looking for a passenger.

Back