Cessna 172RG Gear Modification

Nathan N

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan
Hello!

A few days ago I spoke to someone regarding a gear modification on the Cessna 210RG. They suggested that an after-market alteration exists which would make Cessna landing gear more reliable. I have a Cessna 172RG and was wondering whether or not anyone has heard of such a thing? I can't find much supporting it and it seemed intriguing.... Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks in advanced,
Nathan

Probably talking about removal of all landing gear doors and revising the nose gear door open/close ops to mechanical. In reality it doesn't make that much difference in reliability unless all the door hinges, switches, and whatnot are worn out. Honestly I wouldn't buy a 210 that had this mod installed.

If that is what they are talking about, it doesn't apply to a 172RG.

https://www.tennesseeaircraft.net/2009/01/18/210-gear-doors-the-un-solution/

Thanks pal,

I appreciate the link.

I have no first hand knowledge of this but on certain retract Cessnas (177 IIRC) I've heard of people installing a panel light that illuminates anytime the hydraulic pump turns itself on. The idea being that since those particular airplanes need hydraulic pressure to keep the gear up, if the system develops a leak, the pump will cycle as pressure drops and essentially pump all the hydraulic fluid overboard which then leaves you with no way to get the gear down.

With a light on the panel, you're able to know if the pump is cycling in order to keep the gear up. If so, you can get the gear down and locked while there's still fluid left in the system.

Probably talking about removal of all landing gear doors and revising the nose gear door open/close ops to mechanical. In reality it doesn't make that much difference in reliability unless all the door hinges, switches, and whatnot are worn out. Honestly I wouldn't buy a 210 that had this mod installed.

I wouldn't go so far as to not consider a 210 just because it had the gear doors removed, but your at-large point is absolutely correct. The system's problem child is the gear door activation solenoid and the electrical switches that are required to make contact in order to allow the sequencing to progress. The doors weren't the problem.

As to the hydraulics being a problem, I also find that generalization specious when systems like the Apache/Aztec and Twin Commander utilize the same principle of sharing hydro from engine driven pump(s) to actuate flaps and gear, and you don't catch anyone casting aspersions on the Aztec for relying on hydro to move the "aircraft configuration" bits. fwiw, gear saddles are cheaper than 182 pivots by an order of magnitude; '62 and beyond don't have to be replaced at 1000 hours.

I have no first hand knowledge of this but on certain retract Cessnas (177 IIRC) I've heard of people installing a panel light that illuminates anytime the hydraulic pump turns itself on. The idea being that since those particular airplanes need hydraulic pressure to keep the gear up, if the system develops a leak, the pump will cycle as pressure drops and essentially pump all the hydraulic fluid overboard which then leaves you with no way to get the gear down.

With a light on the panel, you're able to know if the pump is cycling in order to keep the gear up. If so, you can get the gear down and locked while there's still fluid left in the system.
That’s bad-ass. I really appreciate your post. I’m definitely going to look into it :)

Thanks bud!

Back