Cessna 172 windshield

MikeLima

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MikeLima
I need to replace the windshield on my 172e. Where is the best (cheapest) place to procure the replacement?

ML

The Cessna OEM windshields fit. The aftermarket ones are often a huge hassle. More time spent trimming and fitting and even then there are gaps at the root fairings.

I need to replace the windshield on my 172e. Where is the best (cheapest) place to procure the replacement?

ML

Got to love those aircraft owners who want only the best!! :rolleyes:

Where is the best (cheapest) place to procure the replacement?
Got to love those aircraft owners who want only the best!! :rolleyes:
So true. It's so irresponsible to question if an LP Aero or Great Lakes windshield would be cheaper from Spruce, Wicks, or somewhere else by the time you add in shipping charges. They should always look at the total cost and choose the highest, because we know the most expensive is always the best.:rolleyes:

So true. It's so irresponsible to question if an LP Aero or Great Lakes windshield would be cheaper from Spruce, Wicks, or somewhere else by the time you add in shipping charges. They should always look at the total cost and choose the highest, because we know the most expensive is always the best.:rolleyes:

Maybe quality should be a consideration. Just a thought. And don't forget to get the cheapest installation as well - quality has no place there either! :rolleyes:

I am an aircraft owner as well and I well know there has to be a balance between cost and quality. Just tired of hearing "cheap" when it comes to keeping an aircraft airworthy.

Is being cheap when you stop-drill a crack, or just replace the entire ________ ? :D

cee baileys direct not through a c spruce

I usually have things like that done during annual, that is if not equipped to do it yourself.

My mechanics specify Cee Bailey windscreens when I've needed new. Fortunately a local parts store stocks them. Vision quality is the reason they prefer them.

Windscreen replacement is not a do-it-yourself job for the average owner.

Maybe quality should be a consideration. Just a thought. And don't forget to get the cheapest installation as well - quality has no place there either! :rolleyes:

I am an aircraft owner as well and I well know there has to be a balance between cost and quality. Just tired of hearing "cheap" when it comes to keeping an aircraft airworthy.

Oh please how much more misinformed can you be. All the vendors of windscreens run down to www.professionalplastics.com/ pick up some http://www.professionalplastics.com/ABSFORMINGGRADE-FR heat it up and wrap it around a form and ship it out.
It's not some mysterious unobtainum material that is pooped out by oompa loompas on a desert island. It is installed with some aluminum sheet and rivets and sealant.

I've had good experience with LP AeroPlastics on the Navion (though Navion "glass" isn't exactly a stock item).

They have tinted and different thickness so go crazy

Oh please how much more misinformed can you be. All the vendors of windscreens run down to www.professionalplastics.com/ pick up some http://www.professionalplastics.com/ABSFORMINGGRADE-FR heat it up and wrap it around a form and ship it out.
It's not some mysterious unobtainum material that is pooped out by oompa loompas on a desert island. It is installed with some aluminum sheet and rivets and sealant.

I am not advocating this brand or that brand, this price point or that price point. I am advocating in doing some research and getting the best "bang for the buck", which may be a windshield from the OEM or not. Maybe an OEM part is a drop in install, so you will save on labour from fitting and cutting, who knows. But just going with the cheapest might be more expensive in the long run. LP used to be good, but haven't used their products in years. Do some objective research, there are options out there.

I have had cheap windshields in my vehicles and they are ... well, cheap! Waviness and distortion. I check now before they are installed ... not every one is the same! Some are are made on a Wednesday, some on a Friday! :)

Back