Cessna 172 Seat height problems

James Darren

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
James Darren
Hi all,

I'm 6'5" tall & find the seat in a Cessna 172SP still a bit too high for me, even when at the lowest height. Ideally I'd like it another 1-2 inches lower so I have a better visual field of view out of the left side window. Right now I find myself hunching down more than I'd like to.

Does anyone know of a custom modification or different seat to allow a lower height?

Hi all,

I'm 6'5" tall & find the seat in a Cessna 172SP still a bit too high for me, even when at the lowest height. Ideally I'd like it another 1-2 inches lower so I have a better visual field of view out of the left side window. Right now I find myself hunching down more than I'd like to.

Does anyone know of a custom modification or different seat to allow a lower height?

IDK for sure but I'd bet the 172SP seat assembly, including the seat foam and fabric, is certified to stiff dynamic seat regulations (think crashworthiness) that will be difficult to alter.

Generally the newer the airplane, the more difficult it is to alter the seats.

A cessna tech rep might be the best person to ask. The may have shorter seats availabe or can build them.

I lean the seatback aft a bit if I need more headroom.

Last edited:
I feel your pain - I'm 6'7". I did my initial training in a 152 and have flown various 172 models.

Like Brian said, try leaning the seat back a bit. Not much else you can do. Even in the 182, when turning final, etc. I sometimes found myself hunching down to see out of the windscreen.

Hi all,

With the new style articulating seats they can't be altered with out destroying the support structure.
With the old style seats that are made from 4130- tubing lowering them is pretty easy.

Not a 182. The ceiling might be higher, but the wings aren't. I have to hunch down to look under the wingtips, and I'm only 6'2". A 177 isn't too bad -- the wings are set further back.

But a PA28 has much greater visibility above, and plenty of room.

With the new style articulating seats they can't be altered with out destroying the support structure.
With the old style seats that are made from 4130- tubing lowering them is pretty easy.
What model started using the new style of seat?

OK.. I'm going to go ahead and say it -- build/buy an RV and you have unrestricted visibility all around. :D :D :D

OK.. I'm going to go ahead and say it -- build/buy an RV and you have unrestricted visibility all around. :D :D :D

An invisible RV a la Wonder Woman?

Might be fun, but don't forget where you parked it, and make real careful radio calls. ;)

Back