Cessna 172 or 182 Rental near Detroit

James Darren

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
James Darren
Hi all,
Does anyone have any recommendations for Cessna 172 or 182 rental near Detroit?
I'll be there for the next 2-3 month for work and would like to fly around a bit on my weekends.
Thanks...

Do yourself a favor and do a day trip to Put-in-Bay and Mackinac if you haven't before. Actually the latter is definitely worth an overnight. There's something about the peace and quiet after the horses are put up for the night.

In the downriver direction.
The "Flight school" at Grosse Ile (ONZ) has a 172 - but I'm not clear on who is renting it since the FBO closed down last year. I could find out if this is teh direction you want to go.
Monroe Custer (TTF) http://www.monroeflight.com/ also has a 172. Their 150 is about the lowest cost rental in the area that I am aware of.

Based on anecdotal stories, I would avoid Flight 101 at PTK. What area are you staying? ARB is an option, VLL is an option, OZW is an option.

Any further suggestions for flight schools with Cessna 172's within 45 minutes of Detroit?
Seems to be really hard to find a place....

What about the Troy-Oakland airport, KVLL? They have 172 rentals.

Solo Aviation at KARB has 172s and 152s or a 152 at 1D2 - I made very good experience with Solo. KARB might be a little far for you if you are in Troy, though. If you are in Troy you really want to check out a flight school at KVLL. There is definitely a flight school (American Aces?) at Oakland Southwest (Y47) and I have rented with them in the past too.

Good luck.

There are a LOT of really cool places to fly to in a 1 - 2 hours range. You want to consider flying to Pellston and check out their airport restaurant after flying around Mackinac Bridge and Mackinaw Island. Lot of Pancake breakfasts are currently taking place too.

Last edited:
KOWZ has a very well equipped flight school fleet too.

Back